4 | Commons (I)

2412 Tull 17, Kindreth

Xanthy frowned at the line of trees that didn't seem to end. It's only the second hour of the first quarter and her skin already felt like it was being baked under the sun. She wiped at the sweat beading on her forehead and turned to June who sat beside her. "How much longer?"

June clicked his tongue. "Relax your breeches. We have barely passed through the Disfavoreds."

Xanthy sighed. Yesterday, they had spent the whole day trekking through the forest. She had memorized the ballooning crowns and the sound of air whistling as it rustled leaves.

The wheels caught a snag and Xanthy bumped her shoulder against the wooden wall. She hissed and then looked around. Hopefully, nobody heard that.

June had snuck them into a passing merchant caravan yesterday. He claimed that this would get them to the Commons faster than walking on foot. Xanthy had noted the four-legged animals that looked so much like the dagrine the Civil Guards used. Yes, if those animals were stronger when pulling carts, then what June claimed would be true.

They had waited until night had fallen and after tailing the merchants all day, Xanthy had never felt more relieved when the dark skinned fairies stopped and set up camp. It's only a matter of tip-toeing and climbing the carts after that.

General Pell's going to have Xanthy's head for this.

Sunlight beamed through the only window to the wooden carriage that carried most of the merchants' goods. Xanthy had tried to elbow June to scoot a bit so the sun wasn't directly in her face but the boy was busy snoring with his arm plopped over a crate.

That was three hours ago. June awoke and muttered things to himself that Xanthy didn't catch before flashing her a hazy smile. Then, silence coated the air around them with only the sounds of wheels clattering against the forest soil to accompany them.

Xanthy wiped another round of sweat from her forehead. June still hasn't scooted away. He was looking out of the window with a disinterested look.

"So," Xanthy gestured for June to move to the side. "Have you been to the Commons before?"

June moved aside until his back was leaning against the crate beside him. "Yeah," he watched Xanthy crawl to his side.

"What can you say about it? I have not been," Xanthy plopped next to June. The sunlight was no longer in her face. She sighed. That's notches better.

June tapped his chin and pursed his lips. "Hmm," he pondered. "It is noisy. Smelly. Depressing, mostly."

Xanthy raked her hands on her hair. Khaki strands fell at the edge of her vision. "Like the Disfavoreds, then?"

"The Disfavoreds have this...sentimental vibe," he shrugged and waved his hand "The Commons is just..." he shook his head. "You will see when we get there."