Chapter 1 | Old Friend

01. OLD FRIEND

• • • • • •

• • • • • •

GUILTY was running through my body and veins as Kevin pulled me into a kiss. I kissed back at first but my memory went to Joe and I pushed Kevin away from me.

"No, I can't do this," I said, shaking my head while looking at him with frightened eyes. 

"I-I can't do this to my husband," I said, standing up to leave. 

"Jasmine, wait" Kevin stood up to grab my arm but I ran out of his house, into the pouring down heavy ruin.

• • • • • •

"Jasmine, Jasmine," My dad says, waving his hand in my face and I looked at him with tears in my eyes which made his face change to annoyed to worried.

"Hey what's wrong, baby. Why are you crying?' He asks. "Nothing, da. It's um-probably my allergies or something" I said with a fake smile, wiping my tears away.

"Don't play that, tell me. What's wrong?" My dad says. I bursted out into sobs and pulled him into a hug as he hugs me back.

"I'm so confused" I sobbed and he sighs. "Hey It's gonna be okay, everyone gets confused in their life sometimes," My dad says, pulling away from the hug, started rubbing my arm.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked and I shook my head. "No, I think I'm just gonna take Aaliyah home" 

"Okay, well call me when you get home safe okay," My dad says, hugging me again. I went to get my stuff off of the couch and then I went to pick up Aaliyah from playing with her uncle, Scotty. 

"Aaliyah, say bye to grandpa and uncle Scotty," I said, waving her arm to say bye to them, he gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Bye, see ya later"

• • • • • •

It was a sunny afternoon, and I was meeting up with my old friend from college, Kevin Johnson. 

"Jasmine" I heard him call my name. I turned around with a huge smile on my face. 

"Are you just gonna sit there, not give me a hug?" He says and I laughed, wrapping my arms around his shoulder as his arms went around my waist, lift me up just a little bit which made me laugh.

Kevin sat me back down and said, "How are you? it's been a minute. Damn, I can't believe I'm back in Florida. I missed you so much" He says with a smile.

"I've missed you too and I've been great, got married and have a daughter now," I said, showing off my huge diamond ring and his eyes widen. 

"Damn, Jazz. I'm so happy for you and I bet the guy you are married is hella lucky" He jokes and I laughed. 

"His name is Joe and about you, girlfriend? kids? married yet?" I asked, curious.

"Oh hell Nah, no girlfriend, no wife or kids, hell not even a dog or cat. Just me, myself and I." He says with a shrug.

"Hey, you never told me why you left Florida," I said, he sighs. 

"To be honest, I wanted something more out of life and I felt like could've got those things away from home but it seems those things were very gone when I first left but I'm back and can't wait to see the rest of the gang" Kevin explains with a slight smile.

"Well good and since you are back. Let me buy you lunch- He cut me off. 

"No, no Jazz, you probably need to get back home or something I'm gonna-" I cut him off this time.

"My old time best friend is back in town and you think I'm not going welcome back with a big celebration return and beside it's not like I got stuff to do," I said, waving him to follow me into our favorite food spot that was close to the beach. 

After eating lunch, Kevin and I decided to walk on the boardwalk on the beach for hours. Things between Kevin and I were growing into something more and things with me and Joe started to decrease.

• • • • • •

When I got back home from my dad's house and saw that Joe wasn't home yet. I got inside the house quickly and put Aaliyah in her baby walker, close to the kitchen. So I could watch her while I get started on dinner. 

I heard the front door open and close and then heard a pair of familiar footsteps coming into the kitchen.

"Hey, baby girl" I heard his voice speak to our daughter, picking her up and giving her kisses all over her face which made her giggle. I could feel the guilty creeping up on me again and I honestly didn't have the courage to look him in the eye.

"Hey, beautiful what are you cooking?" Joe asked, placing his hand on my lower back which made me tense and he noticed. "Uh, spaghetti" I replied, without looking at his brown eyes.

"Is something wrong?' He asked, stood in my way, not allowing me to walk around him"No Joe, I just need to get dinner ready" 

"Are you sure, you seem tense and uneasy?"  He asked, looking in my eyes, trying to get me to talk.

"Nothing is-" He cut me off.  "No, I know you Jazz. Did something happened at your dad's house and you're just not telling?" Joe insisted, holding me by the arms. I broke into tears and wrapped my arms around his waist and hugged him, tightly. 

"I'm so sorry" I cried. "Why are you apologizing, there's nothing to be sorry about?" He asked so worriedly and concerned.

"I need to tell you something" I sighed deeply. 

I was scared at this moment because I didn't know how was he going to react. "Babe, what is it?" Joe asked.

"I-I, I didn't mean for it to happen," I said letting more tears come down my face. 

"Remember, I told you about my old friend from college that was back into town," I asked and Joe nodded. 

"Oh yeah, what about him?" He asked, confused and worried.

"Um well, we've been hanging out a lot and last week I was at his new apartment and things went too far and he-he kissed me and I-I kissed him back at first- but I pushed away and I swear nothing else happened after" I explained feeling so bad.

"Wait what? Nothing-nothing ELSE HAPPENED. WHAT THE FUCK JASMINE" Joe says, raising his voice a little bit and I didn't have anything to say.

"Joe, I'm so sorry" I cried wrapped my arms around his shoulders. "I'm so sorry, please don't-" I beg, sounding so desperate.

"No, no just tell me," Joe says, removing my arms away from him. "Do you have feelings...for... him? or do you want to be with him?" 

"No, it was a mistake. I don't have feelings for him and I don't want to be with him, I only want you Joe" I cried and he shook his head as he had tears whaling in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry, baby I love you!" I pull him closer in a half kiss but he didn't respond to it. He just pushed me away and walked out the kitchen, I fell to the ground sobbing my heart out. 

"Joe!!" I yelled through my sobs. I think my marriage was over.