three - not a scratch

Hazel's POV

"Hazel wake up!" My eyes shot open and Peggy was at the end of my bed. "Get dressed, We have to go"

"Go where?" I said in a confused tone.

She sighed "to the orphanage"

I hugged my bear to my chest and got out of the bed, Peggy's nightgown dragging behind me. I felt sadness well up in my heart

I wish it were longer. I don't want to go there, other kids, other people will be judging me and it's mostly the loneliness I hate.

I took off the nightgown and put on my yellow dress. it was simple and my only choice.

After putting my bear in my bag, I left the room and saw Peggy sipping on a cup of coffee at the table.

"Hey" I said and put my hands out to give her her blue nightgown. "Keep it, I know you don't have one" she spoke kindly. "Thank you Miss Peggy" I thanked her and stuffed it in my bag.

She pointed to a plate that had eggs and toast on it. "Eat dear, you didn't have anything yesterday." I sat down and thanked her again. then I immediately dug in. my mom never cooked me food, she gave me leftovers from what she made for herself and her husband. But at least I got food sometimes. I went to bed hungry a lot.

After I finished I wiped my face and put my dish in the kitchen sink.

I turned to see her putting her coat on and motioning for me to come, she opened the door and we headed out.

I really don't want to go to the orphanage, I would rather be on the streets.

"Hazel cheer up! you'll be adopted and be with a loving family" she started her car.

"Hopefully" I said under my breath.

After about a thirty minute drive, she pulled up to a boring looking building that said St Joseph's orphanage for boys and girls.

Miss Peggy got out and opened my door then led me inside. It looked like an office, a very bare one. There was a door to my right and I saw other children but they looked sad and lonely.

I could just dash out before Peggy can get me, I'm faster.

Peggy started talking to what I assume was the headmistress but what do I know. I kept looking back to the door. This is my chance, Go!

I put my bag around me and ran.

I heard Peggy yelling after me but I didn't want this, I want a real family, I don't want to be stuck with other kids for years.

I was so fast, so fast that no one could stop me.

I started to cross the street but I saw headlights.

Well me as a four year old obviously got hurt right?

Nope, I stopped it with my bare hands and pushed it back.

Not a scratch.

"Haze-" She was in shock that I didn't get hurt

I just stared at my bare hands, I'm freaking out so bad.

"Did I- did I just-" I backed up

"Hazel, I think you need to come with me"

"I'm not going to the orphanage!"

"No not to the orphanage, to a nearby lab place that can help you."

                              •   •   •