one - on your left

Age 13

Age 13.

"Hazel." I felt someone shaking me. I shot up and looked around. Dad was in his work out gear. I looked at the window and saw it was still dark out.

I groaned and flopped back on my bed. "I'm going on a run, I don't want to leave you here." He always makes me go where he goes. he's very overprotective, more then Peggy.

"I'd rather be pricked to death by a flock of hummingbirds." He pulled off my covers.

"Hurry up." Dad said, not taking no for an answer and left the room.

• • •

(Play music)

I was wearing basic workout gear and trying to keep up with dad. it's too early for this. But the sunrise is pretty.

Dad was running really fast, passed a man who was running slower then a turtle and calmly said. "On your left."

The man didn't say anything but I passed him and snickered.

I was inhaling really heavily. I'll probably die before I make it to school. Taking another lap dad was ahead of me. Of course he is, I'm not 100% Super solider, he is.

Coming up again to the same guy, Dad repeated himself. "On your left."

"Uh-huh, on my left. Got it." He replied, where did dad learn to troll people? I was stumbling, I'm better at my strength then my speed. Oh how I wish I could have stayed in bed.

Dad took another turn coming up behind the same man again. "Don't say it! Don't you say it!" He yelled. I laughed "On your left!" Dad exclaimed and passed him, picking up speed. "Come on!" He yelled and tried to keep up, I passed him trying to catch up with dad.

The poor man had to stop to breathe. I laughed super hard, my dad is such a troll.

I caught up with dad but he stopped and walked over to the dude. As he is resting, catching his breath sitting by a tree dad walked over to him.

I walked up beside him "Need a medic?" Dad smirked. The dude laughed "I need a new set of lungs. Dude, you both just ran like 13 miles in 30 minutes." He pointed where we were running. "I guess I got a late start." Dad replied

"Oh, really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap." He hesitated for a moment before saying sarcastically "Did you just take it? I assumed you just took it."

I was sweating too much to really join in this conversation. I just want a cinnamon roll.

"What unit you with?" Dad asked. "58, Pararescue. But now I'm working down at the VA. Sam Wilson." Dad gave Sam a hand to help him stand.

"Steve Rogers." Dad introduced himself, Sam turned to me. "You must be Hazel Rogers." I smiled. "Yup that's me, nice to meet you." I was polite.

"I kind of put that together. Must have freaked you out coming home after the whole defrosting thing." Sam turned back to dad.

"It takes some getting used to. It's good to meet you, Sam." Dad turned to leave and I waved getting ready to leave as well.

"It's your bed, right?" Sam spoke again, DUDE I JUST WANT A CINNAMON ROLL! Nah I'm chill, Like he said I ran about 13 miles in 30 minutes, of course I'm hungry.

"What's that?" Dad turned back around. "Your bed, it's too soft. When I was over there I'd sleep on the ground and use rocks for pillows, like a caveman. Now I'm home, lying in my bed, and it's like..." Sam explained.

"Lying on a marshmallow. Feel like I'm gonna sink right to the floor." Dad finished his sentence. Sam smiled and nodded.

I had a comfortable bed when I was with Peggy so I can't relate, but the beds at the Shield base, dang those were like sleeping on a stone floor.

"How long?" Dad questioned. "Two tours. You must miss the good old days, huh?" Boy do I miss those days. I miss Peggy's cooking, she was good at everything she did.

"Well, things aren't so bad. Food's a lot better, we used to boil everything. No polio is good. Internet, so helpful. I've been reading that a lot trying to catch up." Dad nodded his head. I knew more about the internet then he did, It's because I'm younger and I go on my phone more, the memes are quality.

"Marvin Gaye, 1972, "Trouble Man" soundtrack. Everything you've missed jammed into one album." Sam motioned. Maybe I'll check that out.

I'll put it on the list. Dad got his small notebook and pen out and notes it down on his list which also included in the American version of the movie - I Love Lucy (Television); Moon Landing; Berlin Wall (Up + Down) Steve Jobs (Apple); Disco; Thai Food; Star Wars/Trek with Star Wars crossed out because we binged it one weekend after one of his weeklong missions. Nirvana (Band); Rocky (Rocky II?) I read that list a couple times so I know what he has written down.

Dad pulled out his phone and read the text, I sighed because it meant he was going on a mission. That's all he gets messaged about so I know what to expect. "Alright, Sam, duty calls. Thanks for the run. If that's what you wanna call running." Steve shook Sam's hand. I just smiled again.

"Oh, that's how it is?" Sam raised his eyebrow "Oh, That's how it is." Dad repeated.

Sam laughed. "Okay. Any time you wanna stop by the VA, make me look awesome in front of the girl at the front desk, just let me know."

"I'll keep it in mind." Steve replied. "Okay." just then Natasha pulled up in her car by the curb and rolled down the window. I jumped. Natasha is one of my favorite people so I was excited.

"Hey, fellas. Either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil." Natasha looked at Sam and Steve. "That's hilarious." Dad rolled his eyes. "Hazel you got the school bus in 15 minutes, if you hurry you'll make it in time to change." He tossed me the spare house key. I nodded. "When will you be back?" I tucked the key in my pocket.

"Tomorrow." He replied, "After school you go straight home, okay?" He gave me the eyebrow look. "Yeah I got it, be safe." I hugged him.

Steve walked over to her car and got in, Sam gave Natasha and her car an appreciative look.

"How you doing?" Sam asked Natasha. "Hey." Nat Smirked. "Can't run everywhere." Dad shrugged. "No, you can't." Sam watched as Nat quickly pulled away and drove off.

I gave one last smile and wave to Sam then ran home.

• • •

I quickly changed and hopped on my school bus, Taking a seat next to my friend Clara. She was quiet around other people and didn't bombard me with questions so I liked her, we had some classes together and ate lunch together.

"Did you do the history homework?" She asked. "Oh yeah I aced it." It was on the 1940s so come on, I lived during that time of course I know all about it.

"We have a new teacher coming in, her name is Wendy or something." Clara took a bite out of an apple she was holding.

"That name sounds familiar." I looked at her. "She's like 60 something, I'm not excited for a new teacher." Clara replied. Clara was a smarty pants and a teacher pet. I was the complete opposite of her but I don't have a huge group to hang out with. Clara is the only friend I need.

We pulled up at the school and all of the kids got off. I put my backpack back on and walked inside. I really wanted to see this new teacher, the name Wendy just reminds me of something.

I'll find out eventually.