CHAPTER III

"So, I'm uptight?," asked Blair with a hint of tease. "You know what you are and who you are better than anyone, Blair." He was right. Surprisingly, he almost always was. Guess he knows me better than I thought he did. "Then show me how to be easy-going, Bass." Blair was always strong. She held herself together better than a women going through menopause, with two kids, getting cheated on by her husband. It was a special talent of hers. A talent none of them had. "Are you sure?," Charles asked, hesitant, yet curious. There is noway she's going ahead with this. It's Blair. That's like taking a toy away from a kid except the fact that her personality, is the toy. "They say nothing good happens after 2 in the morning. Care to test that theory?," Blair asked confidently. She wanted to do this. She wanted to prove him wrong. Yet, she didn't know why. Why should I care what Charles Bass thinks of me? It's not like he's so great himself. Except he was. Charles brought out the worse in Blair. He brought out the bad in her. The bad no one thought Blair Waldorf ever had. But somehow, she brought out the best in him. When she was around, she was in control of him. Anything she said, was done. She wanted something? All hers. She didn't approve of his action? His mistake, he would fix it. Blair Waldorf, the girl that's never gone bad, and Chuck Bass, the boy that has never went good.

"Where are we going? You know I prefer elegant bars. At least they won't allow me to throw away my reputation completely. Must I remind you, I have my eyes set on Yale, only the best University ever. Don't wreck it for me, Bass," Blair reminded him. But he knew, and he would never do anything to harm that opportunity for her. He knew how important Yale was for her. It always has been. Ever since they were four years old, when all the normal kids would arrive to junior kindergarten with their parents by their side, their favorite action figure in their lap, and their mickey mouse backpacks, Blair showed up with a Yale sweater her dad had bought in her size. As for Charles, he had arrived in an original Balmain suit personally customized just for him.

"Gather up kids, it's time for show and tell," Mrs. Bowery yelled with enthusiasm. "Oh my beautiful children, how proud I am of you guys. Your parents would be too," Mrs. Van Der Woodsen squealed with excitement. Serena's mother was the only one of our four parents that had showed up. "You know, education is just a toy for us. Something to keep us busy. Surely we don't need it," four-year-old Charles said. He wasn't scared, nor was he nervous. "Oh Charles, don't be absurd! I simply cannot get into Yale without my kindergarten graduate degree! It's not a place we can buy ourselves into, you know," Blair spoke confidently with her size 2 Yale sweater. "Guys, I don't think it's a good idea for us to stand here. All the kids are sitting down with the teacher. We don't want to get in trouble on the first day!" Nathaniel spoke among the 4 most advantaged kids in the room. "Relax Nathaniel, don't you pee your pants now." Charles was fearless. Even as a four-year-old boy. "No. Nathaniel, let's go. S, you want to get into Brown, right? Well let's go get our kindergarten degree! This is our chance," Blair said filled with enthusiasm. Being four, she didn't know much about the prerequisites you must have in order to get into a University. But Charles did. Instead of taking your child to the park and pushing them on the swings, Bart always thought it was more efficient to get your child ready for University. After all, there's no such a thing as too early. "Blair, you don't really think you can get into Yale with a kindergarten degree, do you?," Charles asked. "If you must know, father had recently educated me. He said that you must need to graduate in order to get in, and next year, we are graduating kindergarten. Keep up, Charles."

"Do you remember our first day in junior kindergarten?," Charles asked. "Really, Charles? This is your definition of loosening up? Talking about our kindergarten memories in the back of a limousine? I expected more from Charles Bass," Blair said. Even though she denied his question, she remembered. It was one of her favorite childhood memories. The fact that Charles never ended up telling her you need to graduate High School and not Kindergarten, the fear Nathaniel had of Mrs. Bowery, Serena having to hold Nathaniel's hands for all of the first week, just so he wouldn't cry. She remembered it all. "Oh don't get yourself worked up, Waldorf. You haven't seen anything yet." From that moment, Blair Cornelia Waldorf knew Charles Bass might be one of the most important chapters in her life. Possibly the reason new chapters begun. For that, she was happy.