CHAPTER IX

"Nathaniel, may I take a moment of your time?" Serena asked. They were all still at Cintonni. Well, not all. Charles had decided that it would be best for him to go get drunk. Easier to face his father's face of disappointment that way. "Of course," Nathaniel smiled. He knew his plan had worked. This was all he ever wanted, to make Serena jealous. At every single event they attended ever since they were thirteen years old, somehow, Serena would always find a new date. One that had not been Nathaniel. It was all so simple when they were kids. When they would attend big events and galas to show their families off to the rest of New York, their baby dates would always remain the same the same. Serena and Nate, and Charles and Blair. That's how it always was.

"Serena! My mommy said we can eat all the chocolate covered strawberries we want! What are we waiting for? Let's go!" five year old Nathaniel spoke. "Can you believe them? Charles, they are stuffing their faces like it's the last meal they will ever have! It's gross. We need to put a stop to this," Blair said as baby Charles grabbed her hand and ran over to the chocolate fountain, where Nathaniel and Serena were standing. "Mmm. These are so delicious! Charles, Blair, you have got to try some," Serena said with chocolate all over her face. "You may want to clean your face. It's not polite to have chocolate all over your face at a party like this," Charles said. "Guys! I had the perfect idea!" Nathaniel yelled. "What?" Serena asked. "We will all forever be best friends, right?" Nathaniel asked. "Of course," spoke all of them. "Good. So I was thinking, at the age of 25, if none of us are married yet, right now, we have to pick one person to marry out of the four of us. Who wants to go first?" Nathaniel asked while they all stood around, carefully looking at one another. After all, they were planning on spending the rest of their lives with one another. "Me," Blair said. "Okay, Blair, who would you like to marry?," Nathaniel asked. "Charles," she spoke without a hesitation in her voice. At that moment, Charles felt honoured. He knew they were perfect for each other. "Charles, do you take Blair to be your wife when you are twenty-five?" Serena asked. "I do," he spoke. "I want Nathaniel," Serena said shortly after Charles' response. "Nathaniel, do you take Serena to be your wife when you are twenty-five?" Blair asked. "Always," he said. "I love you guys," Serena said. "I love you guys, as well," Blair said. "We love you guys too," spoke Nathaniel and Charles as they all went in for a tight group hug, the chocolate on Nathaniel and Serena's face getting all over Charles and Blair. But they didn't care. This moment was all that mattered.

"Why didn't you ask me to be your date?" Serena said as sadness filled her eyes. "I wanted to, so bad, until Carter Baizen popped out of nowhere and said he was going to escort you. My plan was to go with you all along. I even bought you those flowers you love so much, and the chocolate covered strawberries from your favourite place on 5th street," Nathaniel said. "Gosh, how stupid can I be?" Serena said. It was a question she did not want him to answer. "Pretty stupid," Charles said as he walked to them, about to pass out from being so drunk. "Did you not leave? What happened? Are you okay?" Serena asked him. She was worried. It was normal for Charles to get drunk but only once in awhile would he hit rock bottom, and when he did, they could tell. "Nathaniel, you'll thank me later. Serena, Nathaniel has been in love with you ever since the second you guys decided to practically shower under the chocolate fountain at our parents party when we were five. You being naive, never could tell. At that party, we all chose one of us to marry. You chose Nate and he chose you. Do what's right for once and tell him how you feel," Charles said as he drunk walked into the ballroom. "You're in love me?" Serena asked in total and utter shock. "Always have, always will," Nathaniel said and that night, Nate got something he dreamt of ever since the age of five. A kiss from Serena Van Der Woodsen, his golden princess.

"Got as you wished? Your perfect night with your perfect golden date? Was it everything you wished, Princess?" asked Charles as he stumbled towards Blair. He could barely walk. Guess eight shots of scotch really does kick in well, doesn't it? "Charles, not here," Blair spoke as she grabbed his arm. "No! Here is the perfect place. Unless you are scared that I may ruin your perfect night. Is that what I did? Ruin your night? I disappointed you, didn't I? I am just so sorry! I truly feel bad, you know," Charles spoke loud and clear. He was so loud that everyone's attention was on him. Five hundred people at the ball and all eyes were on him as Blair just stood. She didn't know how to react. This wasn't the way it was supposed to be. She was suppose to be here, with Charles on her arm tonight. "Excuse me, everyone! I'd like to raise a glass to the true princess here tonight. Blair Waldorf. A diamond, she is. You know, tonight was important for me, as well, but tonight Blair truly showed me that on this day, it's not about me, it is about her. I can create a mess out of myself and my father's name but it's all fine, because Blair's beautiful dress, which she looks stunning in, is not wrecked. Thank you, Blair, for showing me to be selfless. Try it yourself sometime," he yelled as everyone stood as frozen as an ice sculpture. No words, just the sound of heels clicking on the ground as Blair ran out. Charles smiled. Finally, he was in control. She got what she deserved. "Charles! Are you out of your mind? What has gotten into you?!" Serena yelled. "Yeah, man. What's up? You've been acting odd all day," Nathaniel said. "First of all, Barbie, I think Ken number one left a long time ago, but then again, it's not surprising for you to show up with one date, and end up with another. Never ask me what has and what hasn't gotten into me because I hate to break it to you, beautiful, but whatever mental thing has gotten into me, the same thing has gone into you. Have fun with your dream girl, Nathaniel. Don't be angry if tomorrow morning, she's found her Ken number three," Charles said as he walked out the Ball. For the last time tonight.