CHAPTER XI

"Hey, who was that?" Nathaniel asked Serena as she hung up the phone. "Oh, just Blair. By the way, she told me to tell you that your father needs to discuss Ivy Week with you," Serena said. "Oh, crap! I totally forgot about that!" Nathaniel exclaimed. "It's okay, Nate. We can go back to the city tomorrow. Let's just enjoy our alone time now," Serena said as she leaned in for a kiss. "No, Serena. I don't think you understand how important this week is," Nathaniel said as he backed away. "Wow. First Blair, now you? I just want a couple days away from my insane Mother and I can't even get that, can I? Thanks for the support, Nate," Serena said with her arms crossed. "Your welcome. Now come on, we have to get on the first flight back," Nathaniel said as they grabbed their passport, their luggage, and head out the door. I wonder what could be waiting for them at home..

"Nathaniel! Have you gone insane fleeing off to a whole nother country during Ivy Week?! What has gotten into you? You know how important Dartmouth is!" Howard yelled. "Yes, Father. I know how important Dartmouth is... for you. I may want to go to Columbia or maybe even UCLA or Berkeley," Nathaniel said. "Nonsense. Dartmouth has been our dream ever since you were young. You are going to Dartmouth," Howard spoke in a harsh tone. What no one understood was that although the four were powerful, they could never do as they wished. All their power came with rules. One being the University that they were destined to go to as children. The same Universities their parents attended and the same University they will have to graduate from. This situation never phased Blair and Charles. They wished to have the same power their parents do and they would do whatever it took to have it. Even if it means they never got to choose their path in life. The path with the most money is the best path, they thought. Nathaniel on the other hand, dreaded this policy. He believed that no amount of money could ever win happiness. He knew this from personal experience. He never cared to be a millionaire or grow up to be as successful as his father because in reality, he never wanted to step anywhere near his father's path.

**FLASHBACK**

"Father, what do you think we're going to be when we are older?" Nathaniel asked for their group as they all sat down beside their parents. "Oh, Nathaniel. You four will become just as successful as us. Someone has to carry on the family name, and that job will be all for you guys," Howard spoke as the rest of the parents smiled down on their children, wishing nothing but power and elegance for them. "I'm going to become the most powerful women in the world!" 3 year-old Blair said as Eleanor chuckled and kissed the top of her head. "I'm going to become just like father!" Charles said next as Bart looked down and pat his shoulder. Deep down, Bart was thrilled but he could never show it. It's not professional. "Nathaniel, what do you want to be?" Lily asked toddler Nathaniel. "He's going to be a Dartmouth graduate and he's going to become just as successful as his father," Howard spoke for Nathaniel as Anne, Nathaniel's mother, felt nothing but pain for her son. You can see it in her deep, blue eyes. She never wanted her son to live this life. "Isn't that right, Nathaniel?" Howard asked his son. "Sure," Nathaniel said not knowing better and terrified to embarrass his father in front of the family. Especially after Blair and Charles A-plus comments.

**REALITY**

"Sure, Father. After all, who else must carry the family name?" Nathaniel said mocking his father's words from when he was a toddler. "That's my boy. Now get ready, we're going for a run. Have to get you ready for that lacrosse match tomorrow, don't we?" Howard said as he patted his son on the shoulder and jogged upstairs to put on some sweats. "Yes, father," Nathaniel sighed. I guess it's not such a wonderful life for them, is it now?