CHAPTER XIV

"In honour of this beautiful Sunday morning, I'd like to make a toast to family. I'm aware how confusing these past days must have been for you kids but Eric, Serena, I just want to let you know how in love I am with your mother. I truly believe that God brought us together on this beautiful day for a reason," Bart says standing with a glass of orange juice in a champagne glass raised high. "The only reason God brought us to this table is to test how long my mother can make it with her new husband. They say God will keep testing until the day you pass, Mother," Serena said with her arms crossed. "Im all for this new family thing but, Father, are you not an atheist?" Charles spoke confused as Serena burst into laughter with Eric covering his mouth to stop himself from laughing. "Charles, that is enough. Will you ever mature?" Bart asks. "No, Bart. If anything, Serena is being immature. May I remind you that I am the one controlling your trust fund? Are you sure you want to keep that mouth young lady?" Lily asks looking over at Serena. As long as we're all being honest, Lily has always favoured Serena. Her daughter's actions reflected off hers when she was Serena's age and she knew it which is why she felt a sense of connection between them. But, with Eric, he took all after his father. From his looks to his personality, he was the exact replica of their deadbeat father. "Take my trust fund away and I won't attend Brown," Serena said as she straightened up and looked at her mother dead in the eye. It was a lie of course, but not a shocking one. It was the type of lie that was also extremely realistic meaning that no one would be surprised if she actually did. This made her mother believing her a million times easier. After all, it was exactly what Lily would've done. "Enough, Serena. Apologize to your mother," Bart said. "You're barely a father to Charles and he's your biological son. You really think you can give fatherly orders to someone who in no way shares your blood?" Serena said as she stood up. "Where are you going?" Eric asked Serena. "Away from this. Thank you for this 'beautiful Sunday morning'," Serena says as she walks away. "Speaking of leaving, I think I should get going as well. Exquisite breakfast, Father. You just keep getting better at hiring chefs," Charles says as he walks away.

    "Nate?!" Serena yells as she enters the Archibald's home. "Serena?" Nate asks. "I need to talk to you and I know we're not on the best terms and we could be better but I need you right now," Serena says with tears filling her eyes. "Serena, you fly to a whole different country with me, fail to remind me of Ivy Week knowing how important it is to my dad, try to put the blame on me, then to top it all off with a cherry on top, have the nerve to accuse me of being Gossip Girl. I loved you, Serena. All my life I've loved you and the one chance we had you not only ruined it but somehow managed to crap on it as well," Nate says as Serena cries. "Nathaniel? Serena? Is that you?" Anne says as she walks downstairs. "Yes, Mom. It's us. Sorry for the noise," Nate says. "It's alright. It was about time we got up anyway. Your father and I have a busy day ahead of us. Make sure to keep yourself busy," Anne says as she kisses Nate's head. "Of course," Nate says as Anne walks away. "Oh, and Nathaniel, watch your manners. I didn't make my stomach your home for 9 months and go through hours of labor just so I can raise an impolite, disrespectful child," Anne says. "You're right. Sorry, Mom," Nate says. "Nate, I'm sorry. You're the only guy that's ever truly loved me and I took you for granted. I love you, Archibald. You know I do," Serena says as she reaches to hold his hand. "I think it's best if we stay friends for now but aside from that, tell me what you wanted to talk about," Nate says as he sat her down. Let the weekly therapy talks begin... After all, when you live on the Upper East Side, happiness is the one thing that's not your right.

    "Good morning, Waldorf," Charles says as he stands at the door of Blair's room. "Charles! What are you doing here? It's one thing to annoy me during the day but during my beauty sleep? Really?" Blair says. "I'm afraid we have a party to plan. Oh, and don't rush out of bed to fix your hair. You look as beautiful as always," Charles says as he takes in the beauty of the woman in front of him. "What's gotten into you this morning?" Blair asked as she sat up. "Oh just a wonderful Van Der Woodsen-Bass breakfast really gave me the power to leave and do something more interesting then fight and so I thought, what could be more interesting than scheming with Blair Waldorf?" Charles says smiling. A real smile. "Oh Charles, I guess my beauty sleep being interrupted isn't THAT bad. If anything, you could've been Serena. That'd be a million times worse," Blair said. "Don't you worry, Nathaniel is the one that has to deal with her now. We're off the hook," Charles says relieved. "About time. I was starting to think I developed real emotions. A nightmare to say the least," Blair said as Charles laughed. "Enough with the jokes, I'm afraid it's time to get to business," Charles said as he pulls out a folder. "It's like I've entered heaven. So romantic of you to come prepared. Shall we?" Blair asks. "We shall," Charles answers. Let the scheming begin...