Chapter 100: The Alpha's Sleepover

Alpha Luke McDougal had arrived in Nova Scotia earlier in the afternoon. Nathanial had brought him over to his house first, so the alpha took a quick tour and succeeded in traumatizing the poor pup. However, he was quite apologetic and Garret extended an invitation for use of his guest suites if Conor's home didn't have sufficient space. After looking at his son's home, Alpha McDougal decided to take Garret up on his offer.

____________________________________________________

Geoff followed Faelen as the grey Wolf led the way along the faint forest path to Nathanial's, shortly after Faelen and Dirk had cleaned up after supper. Behind Geoff walked, very slowly walked, the four adult Spirits: Luke and Conor McDougal, and Faeden and Dirk O'Conall. The two older O'Conalls carried overnight bags for them and their bosses, while Geoff and Faelen carried their own, along with their school supplies for the next day -- Wednesday, the day of his next football match. If he wasn't so annoyed by the slow pace he would've shivered in excitement.

Geoff was practically twitching with impatience by the time they reached the back wall of Nathanial's yard. While Faelen went and pushed open the gate, he dropped his bags, ran forward, and jumped onto the top of the wall before doing a couple of flips along it. All the adults except his grandda looked impressed; the alpha shook his head sadly and examined the gate. Grandda always referred to parkour as 'gymnastics,' the 'sport of little Chinese girls.'

"Passable work, this. I can see a number of places where the stone is unnecessarily stressed, but overall the gate is done tolerably." That was high praise coming from him. If it didn't provoke a half-hour rant about its flaws, then Nathanial must've done a great job. "Gwen said Nathanial did this?"

Faelen nodded. "He did. It was right after he fought the Investigators and he'd channelled a huge amount of Light energy to help Liam heal someone. He needed to burn it off, so he took a bunch of rock that was strewn around the property and made this. He did it while repairing the yard and a car that one of the Mages threw at him."

Geoff perched on top of the wall and grinned. "The car hit him, too. They both ended up in the woods, but Nathanial came right back into the fight and ripped a chunk of Gordon's energy out and healed himself." Geoff crossed his arms smugly. "He kicked their asses."

The alpha scowled up at him. "And where were you while your boy was fighting? You are the Spirit, the one descended from a long line of warriors, and you stood aside the whole time? The Dark Spirit needed a Mage to fight for him?"

Faelen looked pissed, but Conor put a paw on his father's shoulder and turned him around. "Da, I told Geoff to stay out of it. Geoff had no say in this matter at all, and he had no business interfering. I didn't want those bastards to know Geoff was here, and I didn't want to risk him getting hurt and starting a war. Nathanial chose that fight, even though there were two Agents in the same room who could've dealt with it, and he made sure none of us interfered; it was a fight of honour." He sounded exasperated. "I told you all of this when it happened. Stop trying to provoke Geoff, would you? You've already seen that he's willing to fight for Nathanial against anyone, including you."

The giant Wolf grinned toothily. "Yeah, even though he looked close to crapping his pants after he realized what he'd done. It's a start."

Conor scowled. "No, it isn't. I don't want Geoff turning into Rolph. My brother is of no use to anyone because he's ready to get into a fight at the slightest provocation, and I won't let you do that to Geoff."

Alpha Luke returned the scowl and added a menacing growl. "And how do you think you can stop me?"

Conor walked past his father, ignoring him. "Come on, Geoff, Faelen. It's a school night, and Halifax gets chilly at night this time of year. I think Avery and Gwen would like it here, though."