xviii. booty call!

*

sitting at the booth of her local cafe, bela sighed, nervously tapping her heel against the ground. the door opened suddenly, a gush of cold air entering into the small room as a tall boy walked inside.

he smiled politely when he saw her, walking over towards the booth as he sat down opposite her. "hey," he said.

"hey, peyton," she greeted in response, smiling widely at him.

they both sat silently for a moment, neither one knowing what to say. bela picked at the frayed sleeve of her wool jumper, attempting to avoid his gaze.

things hadn't always been this awkward between them. bela remembered days when they could just talk and talk for hours on end, never running out of things to say to each other. so what happened? what had changed?

"so, filming is starting soon ... i guess," peyton said abruptly.

bela snapped out of her thoughts. "filming?" she murmured, not understanding him.

his eyes narrowed confusingly. "you know, for our tv show? memories? have you forgotten already?"

bela's mouth formed the letter 'o'. "goodness, of course! i haven't forgotten, i've just had a lot of things on my mind," she said.

peyton nodded slowly, followed by a long sigh. "look, bela, since we're talking about this, i have to tell you somethi─"

bela's phone vibrated in her hand suddenly, a loud ding emitting from the device which cut peyton off. her eyes reflexively glanced down at the screen, a small smile appearing on her features as she saw the text message on her phone. she quickly looked back at peyton, who groaned under his breath.

"sorry," she apologized. "what were you about to tell me?"

he shook his head. "it's fine. it's nothing. go, check your phone," he said. "i have to go now, anyway."

she furrowed her eyebrows. "but you just got here," she said.

"it's this meeting that i completely forgot i had," he began, already standing up and walking past her. "i'm sorry, maybe we can reschedule."

"o-okay, i'll text you─" she stopped abruptly, turning around to see that he had already walked out the door. "─later," she said lowly as an afterthought.

⁖*✧゚‿ ➶

the king received a new message from loyal servant zumann!

loyal servant zumann
hey pretty girl

the king
ooft
pretty girl? this better not be a permanent nickname

loyal servant zumann
why? is it too much?

the king
hmmmmm
no. not at all, pretty boy