xxii. never be so cruel!

*

the king received a new message from loyal servant zumann!

loyal servant zumann
hey hey hey
good morning
delivered 8:56am

i know you're probably busy but how are you?
delivered 1:29pm

hey
hope you had a good day today
goodnight pretty girl
delivered 12:20am

⁖*✧゚‿ ➶

bela opened her eyes, staring at the multitude of plastic stars stuck onto the ceiling. they glowed dimly in the darkness of her bedroom. she sighed, remembering the time peyton had bought them for her. he had told her she reminded him of a star, burning so beautifully bright in the vast universe. back then she thought the gesture was painstakingly poetic. now, she thought nothing of it.

she couldn't sleep. her body was exhausted but her mind still ticked with endless thoughts. how long had she been awake for? she reached over to the bedside table, grabbing her phone. her eyes slightly blurred from the bright light of the screen when she switched it on.

12:48 am

1 missed call from peyton😽❤️

4 texts from peyton😽❤️

9 missed calls from loyal servant zumann

6 texts from loyal servant zumann

she groaned and turned off her phone, placing it back on her bedside table before a loud knock at her window jolted her upright.

she tentatively glanced over, seeing an outlined figure through the sheer, white curtains. she sighed. there was only one person would ever enter her house through the bedroom window. she pondered leaving him out there in the cold, but she could never be so cruel.

she got out of bed, walking towards her window that sat over the slanted roof of the house. pulling back the curtain and unlatching the handle, she pushed the frame up, allowing the boy to enter the room before she shut it.

he cleared his throat quietly when she turned around to face him. "i feel like i should at least explain things in person," he said.

"there's nothing for you to explain," she immediately responded with a stoic expression. he slightly flinched at her words, and her face reflexively softened. "these past eight months," she suddenly began, "have they all been a lie?"

peyton looked at her. "yes," he whispered hesitantly.

"everything?" she asked weakly.

"everything."

her stomach dropped. "and you never actually felt anything for me?"

he sighed impatiently, the reluctancy on his face giving her the answer before he even needed to say it. "bela, i─"

"how could you?" she whispered, her voice cracking pathetically. her eyes welled with tears.

"it wasn't my idea! my publicist said it would be good for me, and more importantly, for the show. i only did it because─" he cut himself off abruptly, guilt already washing over his face.

"because what?" bela said suspiciously.

he let out a huff of breath. "they offered me more money," he uttered dryly.

her jaw clenched tightly. "so you decided to string me along in a sick game to earn a little extra cash? you faked an eight month relationship for a fucking tv show?"

"hey, this is your tv show. considering you're the main character, i think you would've done anything to make sure it was a success," he defended.

"i wouldn't manipulate someone's feelings and toy with them for eight months! i guess you and i have a different understanding on what success is," she spat.

"if it wasn't for us dating, i don't think the show would've gotten half the popularity and attention that it does now. maybe you should even be thanking me," he said.

her fists clenched by her side. "get out," she demanded.

"i'm just saying─"

"get out!" she screamed.

peyton shook his head in disbelief before walking back to her window to exit. once on the roof, he turned to her, purposefully placing a hand on the window's frame to prevent her from shutting it. "what happens now? with filming?" he said quietly.

a single noise came out from bela. she glowered at him. "my friends were right about you," she hissed. "i never should've trusted you. is this all you care about? success? fame? the tv show? i couldn't give a damn about filming right now."

she suddenly grabbed onto the window, pushing the glass frame down to shut it. he saw the frame coming down, and jerked his hand back just before the window was shut completely.

bela plodded back to her bed, feeling unconsciousness immediately take over once her head hit the pillow. and then she fell asleep.

end of act one.