Chapter 16 -

It was my first day in the new ward and my treatment had finished in the night and i was free to wonder about the ward myself. I got out of bed and checked my phone to see the time. It was 9:52am. I quickly got dressed before someone walked in on me.

*Knock knock*

''Hi Matilda, my name is Hannah i am one of the health care assistants on this ward.'' I gave her a smile and looked away. ''Its nearly 10 o'clock and that's when we normally do teas and coffees but you can ask for one at any time of the day. Just go over to the hatch and you can get one.''

She left me to finish getting ready. I made my way to my door took a deep breathe and opened the door. At first i thought everyone was going to be looking at me because i am new to the ward, but i was surprised to see that everyone was minding their own business. I made my way over to the hatch and joined the little queue that had assembled.

''Hello...Matilda isn't it? My name's mike, what would you like tea, coffee or hot chocolate?''

''I'll have a tea please, milk 2 sugars.''

He handed me the plastic mug and i made my way over to the sofas. The layout of this ward was completely different from the children's ward, there was a communal area which had 4 sofas and 4 chairs that surrounded a large flat screen t.v. Placed to the left of the communal area was 3 tables each with 4 chairs that was used for meal times and for visitors. To the right of the communal area was the nurses station. 

 I took a seat on one of the chairs so no one would come and sit next to me. BBC 1 wales was on t.v and concentrated on what was happening. The girl that was names Hannah came and sat on the sofa next to me.

''So i absolutely love that band tee that your wearing. Who's your favourite band?''  I look down to see what band tee i was wearing, it was Panic! at the disco. 

''That's a hard one, um... at the moment i think my favourite band has to be Falling In Reverse.''

''Oh i love them, its strange finding out someone else who likes them too not many people know about them around here.'' She looked at me hoping i would carry on the conversation.

''So whats there to do around here?'' 

''Well mostly people stay around here in the lounge but we do have a pack of cards, various board games and puzzles. Is there anything you want to do?'' 

I had to think about this. Did i really want to put myself out there.

''Um...sure, how about a game of cards? Do you know how to play any games with cards?''

She took a while to think of an answer.

''Hey mike, you know how to play cards don't you? Do you want a game with me and Matilda?''

''Yeah sure i'll get the cards now, what we playing beanie?''

Hannah turns back to me to get an answer i just nodded yes to her.

''Yeah beanie it is mike.''

We both get up, cuppas still in hands and we take a seat at one of the tables. Mike came and sat next to Hannah with a pack of cards,pen and paper in one hand and the largest mug ive ever seen in the other.

Mike shuffled the cards and dealt them out to each player.

''Your young to be on this ward, what happened?'' 

I looked up at Mike thinking to myself if i really wanted to answer his question, i decided that i didn't want to answer him so i gave him a look which told him there wont be an answer.

We played cards for about an hour before i got bored and i went to go watch t.v again. I didn't have lunch that day, the afternoon went by quite quickly i spent i by watching t.v. Hannah and Mike had finished for the day and the new staff never introduced themselves so i didn't want to talk to them.

By 8 o'clock i was tired and retired back to my room for the night, i was hardly dressed into my pjs before my body gave up to me and i fell onto the floor and passed out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry its such a short and boring chapter but i needed to get it out of the way and get more characters in it which will come up a lot more in the next few chapters

please vote and comment