26. Dinner with the Wilders

I didn't make it a habit to try and eat meat at the dinner table in front of anyone on the off chance that I had to throw it up again. Liam was nervous, I could sense that much, and I think my grandparents could too. He was polite and trying to be helpful, but he was talking too much. It was actually kind of cute. He really wanted them to like him, which was silly because they already did. He helped my grandma set up the table and pulled my chair out for me when it was time to sit. My grandma made vegetarian spaghetti. It was obvious the men at the table wanted meat in it, but they didn't complain.

"So Liam, how is your family?" my grandpa asked.

"They're good. Lily is about to start first grade the next school cycle and she can't stop talking about it," he chuckled. From there, Liam relaxed a bit and we mored into easy dinner conversation. I finally got a handle on reading thoughts one at a time so I didn't get overwhelmed in crowds or groups of people. My grandma was still thinking about how handsome Liam was and how much he looked like Alpha Connor. My grandpa was still confused as to how I wasn't craving meat yet. And Liam? Liam just wanted this to go well, and he wanted me to love him back.

After dinner, our little party moved to the living room where the conversation continued. It was pleasant and relaxed. Liam was still slightly worried that my grandparents were being nice because he was the future Alpha, but he really had nothing to worry about. When my grandparents got tried, they said their goodbyes and went off to their room. I couldn't stop smiling at him as he released a breath.

"You had nothing to be nervous about," I tried to put his mind at ease. He chuckled with a shrug.

"The real test will be with your dad," he joked. At the mention of my dad, I got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach; like something was wrong. The nightmare I had when I first arrived to this town entered my memory before a quick vision of a lake defrosting in a time-lapse glazed over my vision. "Danni? Danni, what's wrong?" Liam asked, pulling me out of the vision. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something felt wrong.

"Is there a lake around here, near a road?" I asked him out of curiosity. His eyebrows knit together in confusion before he nodded slightly.

"Yeah, there's one on the road leading out of town. Why?" he asked, even more confused than he was before. I didn't understand my abilities at the time, but now that I did, I suspected my nightmare was more than just a nightmare. All I could do was pray that my dad say my text saying that I loved him before he drove into the river.

"Will you take me there tomorrow?" I asked.

"Is everything okay, Danni?" he asked, taking my hand in his. I sighed as a single tear escaped my eye. I tried not to look at him, knowing that it would only cause me to get even more upset than I already was. In my heart, I knew it was true. He didn't have his mate, Aria, or me to keep him grounded. He had kept his promise to my mother.

"I don't think you'll have to worry too much about getting my dad to like you," I answered vaguely. Liam moved to pull me closer to him, but I stood and got distance between us before he could. I was comfortable with Liam. He was my mate and I trusted him, but if he embraced me, I knew I would start sobbing, and I never wanted anyone to see me that vulnerable, ever; no matter who they were.

"I'll see you tomorrow then," I said, quickly wiping my tears away. Liam stood in front of me and held my cheeks gently in his hands until I was looking at him.

"Danni... talk to me, please," he practically begged. Another tear escaped my eye and Liam brushed it away with his thumb.

"Liam, I really don't want you to see me like this. Please go," I said as I tried to choke back a sob. It was like a lump was stuck in my throat and I couldn't breathe. I wanted to talk to Aria and have her confirm my suspicions, but I knew that wouldn't happen while Liam was around.

"Danni, that's what I'm here for. I'm supposed to be the one person you can break down in front of if you need to," he said. I could tell he was getting frustrated but he was still trying to be gentle with me. "Please, tell me what's running through that head of yours," he asked as he moved a strand of hair behind my ear. I closed my eyes with a shaking breath. Hesitantly, I pressed my open palm against his temple. I felt the energy flowing from my hand to his mind. Unwillingly, I thought about that nightmare again. As it rolled through my memory, it presented itself to him.

Showing my visions to someone else through touch was something I rolled my eyes at when Aria taught it to me, but now, with the lump choking back the words I was afraid to speak out loud, it was the only way I could get Liam to understand. After it was over, Liam's hand dropped from my face as he pulled me into a hug. I couldn't help the sob the broke its way out of my throat.

"Oh Danni," he breathed into my hair. I clung to him as I buried my head into his chest. "I'm so sorry," he whispered. I tried to pull myself together. I took a step back and tried to wipe my face.

"Liam you should go," I said, composing myself.

"No, if you need me-"

"No really, Liam... it's okay. I'm just going to talk to Aria before going to bed. I'll call you if I need you, I promise. And I'll see you tomorrow. You can come first thing, and we'll go to the lake," I tried to reason with him. He sighed and held my shoulders as he kissed my head.

"I'll call the police station tonight to get some search divers, a police presence, and a couple of forensics guys out there with us," he said. I nodded, unable to do anything else.

"I'll see you in the morning," I said to him. I could tell he was reluctant to leave me alone, but he knew he didn't really have a choice.