27. When Ice Thaws

Aria only confirmed what I already knew, but talking to her helped me calm down and accept what I had actually already, deep down, known for months now. The next morning, I was a bit more somber when Liam picked me up accompanied by two squad cars. His parents and Bella were present as well. We went to the lake in silence. Liam was worried about me; especially since I was so quiet compared to the last time he saw me. We stood on the bridge and overlooked the lake as the policemen and divers searched for my dad. I crossed my arms as it felt like I held my breath as we waited. Liam stood next to me as we waited. Finally, there was movement.

"We found a car," they announced. I tried to prepare myself for what I knew was coming. As a crane pulled the familiar car out of the water, I knew that my premonitions had been right. I took a deep breath and turned away from the scene. I knew it was hard living without a mate. I told myself that he survived as long as he could. Longer than most, thanks to Aria.

"I'm sorry, Dani. Are you okay?" Liam asked as he turned his attention to me. I shook my head and ran my fingers through my hair, gripping the strands slightly.

"I knew this was coming, but it still breaks my heart," I answered softly. "But I'll be okay. He lived without his mate for 18 years after all. It's better that he's no longer suffering," I added. Liam took my hand in his. This was how it was supposed to be. I stepped into Liam and hugged him tightly. For once, I took comfort in the warmth of my mate to help me. Liam seemed happy that I was starting to rely on him more.

"Can we go? Please?" I asked quietly. He nodded before turning me away and leading me towards his car. As soon as I got in the car, I called my grandparents and let them know what was going on. Seeing the car was the only confirmation I needed. I didn't think I had the strength to identify the body. Liam took me to his house where we just sat in his room. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Can you... distract me please?" I asked Liam in frustration when I felt my eyes start to water. He placed a hesitant hand on my back.

"When do you meet with Aria again?" He asked.

"I don't know. She pops in whenever she wants these days," I answered.

"Did you learn anything new?" He asked. I shrugged.

"Vision projection, weather manipulation, with all the usual powers," I answered quickly again.

"Dani," Liam asked making me look at him. As soon as I turned my head, his lips brushed against mine. I froze as his hand came around to my cheek, pulling me closer to him. I allowed it, too shocked to protest. But it helped. As soon as his lips touched mine, I couldn't think of anyone else but him. My hands came up on their own to tangle in his hair. I pushed him back against the bed, getting lost in his kiss. My lips started to wander on their own. Before I knew what was happening, I bit his neck.

It was like a splash of cold water hit me. I sat up quickly and covered my mouth with my hand. My skin graded against elongated canines, making me touch it with my finger.

They grew?

Liam sat up slowly as he stared at me in shock while holding his neck. We both stared at each other, unsure of what to say. I knew the meaning behind my actions, but they weren't my actions to take.

"You... you marked me?" Liam said out loud what we were both thinking. I marked him. In a normal situation, Liam would've been the one to mark me. Why did I mark him?

You're more dominant in this mating. You're stronger than him, but he can return the favor, Aria said in my mind. I gave a scoff before taking a breath.

"Aria says it's because I'm more dominant than you, but you can return the favor. But to be fair, it wasn't intentional," I replied. Liam chuckled and shook his head as his hand fell away from his neck. Past the slight smears of blood, a mark of a crescent moon laid near his collarbone. I couldn't help but to stare at it. It was so pretty.

"Is she telling me to mark you, too?" He asked, pulling me out of my own thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, probably," I said, snapping out of it.

"Is that what you want?" He asked. I quirked an eyebrow at him with a smirk. He was learning if he asked first.

"It only seems fair," I said as I pulled my hair off of my shoulder.

"You know what this means, right?" He asked again as he came closer. I smiled softly and moved closer to him as my arms went around his neck.

"It means that I'm your mate," I replied softly. He hesitated so I took the initiative to kiss him first this time. It was sweet, but easily heating up. This time, Liam flipped me onto my back. His arms propped him up to barely hover above me. He pulled away slightly breathless as he looked at me. Slowly, he brought his lips to my neck and placed soft kisses from my neck to my shoulder.after a breath, Liam's elongated canines pierced my skin making me gasp. A comfortable fire coursed through my veins instantly making me want Liam ten times more. Liam pulled away making my wound throb. I held it gently as blood trickled out of the punctures. I didn't seem to be healing like Liam did.

"I think I need a towel," I said awkwardly. Liam nodded and headed to the bathroom quickly before handing it to me. I pressed the towel against my neck before I sat up.

"I guess... your wolf really hasn't come yet," Liam said as he sat next to me.

"Five more days," I muttered. In five days, I would be 18 years old, and my wolf would come. In all honesty, I was scared for that day. I still wasn't eating meat the way I was supposed to be. I could keep down beef and pork most of the time, but chicken never stayed down. And if I could help it, I never ate meat willingly. I just hoped that when Sahria arrived she wouldn't destroy the whole town.