33. Back to School

Liam drove us to school the next day. Bella parted with us at the door, wishing me good luck while we continued on to the main office.

"Oh! Ms. Morrison, are you back?" The office lady asked. I remembered her from when I first enrolled at school. I nodded with a smile.

"Dani's schedule needs to mirror mine," Liam said. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. He was taking the 'stick by my side' thing very literally, but I expected it. The office lady smiled warmly before typing on her computer.

"One moment," she said as she stood and grabbed something off of the printer. She came back and handed it to me while handing Liam another copy.

"There you are. It's good to see you again Dani," she said sincerely.

"You too," I smiled before Liam took my hand and led me into the main hallway. As soon as we stepped into the hallway, the atmosphere changed. People were trying to look at us without actually being obvious that they were looking at us. We stopped at my locker where books we're already placed inside.

"I had someone come put these here earlier this morning," Liam explained. I sighed and looked at my schedule before pulling out my books for the first few classes. Liam wasted no time taking them from me.

"Are you really going to go this far?" I asked with a sigh. He only smiled cheekily.

"Dani!" A girl's voice yelled from down the hall. I turned to see Mya charging towards me. My eyes widened as she continued charge. She wasn't slowing down. I didn't even bother bracing myself as she knocked me into the floor in a hug. I laughed along with her as we hugged laying there.

"Mya, it's like you're trying to hurt my mate. You know she won't fight you," Liam said to her as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I've missed you so much! Where have you been lately?" Mya asked, ignoring Liam.

"Under Liam-Watch practically 24-7. You know he's sensitive," I joked. I stood and offered Mya a hand up as well.

"Dani!" Liam said shocked. I chuckled and held his hand gently to make him feel better.

"Oh come on. You know it's true," I responded. Liam was too preoccupied staring at our hands to give any retort. He was like a little kid; the simplest things made him happy.

"I'm glad you're back," Mya giggled. I let go of Liam's hand to hug Mya again. Even though things had been busy, I wish I'd made more time for her. I considered her my best friend after all.

We walked to our first class where Liam made me sit next to him.I wasn't really interested in the lesson but more so in reading the thoughts of those around me. Turns out, no one was paying attention. Everyone had their own theory on my relationship with Liam and why I was back. A couple of people even speculated that I might be pregnant. That theory was laughable. As slow as I was taking things with Liam, that probably wouldn't happen for a long time.

Thankfully, the day was passing pretty quickly. Before I knew it, it was time for lunch. Luna Addie packed a lunch for me since I was on a "special" diet of reintroducing meats. I sat at the lunch table next to Mya like I did before. Liam wasted no time pouting about it.

"You promised to stay by my side," he whined.

"Then sit next to me," I offered. He hesitated before he finally sat down. Slowly, the table filled up with the usuals. Kaden smiled at me when he took his seat.

"I heard the rumor but I didn't think it was actually true. Welcome back, Dani," Kaden said to me. I smiled back to him with a light chuckle.

"Thanks," I replied.

"Are you eating meat now?" Mya asked in shock. I shrugged as I finished chewing my food.

"Mostly," I answered.

"So I guess the shifting wolf in the woods was you," a new but familiar voice joined us. Sophia took her seat before picking up my utensils.

"The next pack over has this rumor about a shifting wolf almost taking out the entire Alpha Family. I guess they were talking about you," Sophia said.

"Not true. Bella and Lily weren't there," Liam corrected her.

"Wait seriously?!" Kaden asked. I only shrugged.

"You attacked the Alpha Family and didn't get taken down immediately?!" He asked. I shrugged.

"She didn't know she was doing it. Her wolf has a completely different conscious than Dani," Liam explained.

"That's insane," Mya put in her two cents.

"Well, it's not really up to me," I added.

"Weird till the end, huh?" Sophia said, finally talking again. I smiled sarcastically and resisted the urge to flip her the finger. The emotions between us still weren't great, but it was understandable.

"Anyway, that Alpha is after her now and he's not past destroying the whole pack to get to her," Liam said.

"Is she really worth all of that?" Sophia asked.

"If you knew half of what she could do, you would understand. She's basically walking pack protection. He's not the only one who would kill to get his hands on her," Liam explained.

"So I guess it's a good thing that she's your mate," Kaden said. Liam nodded as he ate his food.

"That's the only way we even knew what was going on. Otherwise, we'd be in the dark. Needless to say, this stays in the pack," Liam explained. I could already see Sophia plotting to get rid of me. Her hands weren't busy enough with her paralyzed mate?

"You already have your mate and I have mine. What do you gain by getting rid of me?" I called her out.

"You could've healed him more. Why did you stop?" She pushed back.

"The Moon Goddess told me to," I answered easily. "Your hands were too idle. Her words, not mine," I added. She pointed her glare at me before it shifted to the table. She wouldn't get her way that easily.