CHAPTER 8

Jane POV

I was in so much trouble. I was in so much trouble!

Two days on the job and I was already fantasizing about my incredibly sexy boss. Those lips. That smile! I was as deep as person could be in trouble.

After our encounter in the hall, I scurried back to my desk with the document I'd grabbed from the printer. I couldn't even remember what it was anymore. I leaned back, with my eyes closed, and tried to gather my thoughts.

There were so many problems with all the things going around in my head. The first was that being involved with your boss could turn into a whole lot of drama. Not only that, but I was starting to suspect that he and Amanda had been engaged in an affair of some sort, and that's why he had fired her.

So far, I hadn't found the office gossip yet. There was always one person you could rely on to dish the dirt and make speculations, but not only had I not found this person at B.I., but I hadn't even found anyone who would say anything other than the bare minimum about Amanda or her termination. I'd had to make do with reading the expressions on people's faces when I asked, but I'd pieced together enough to know that nobody was telling me the whole truth, and that something seriously weird had gone down.

That was unfortunate. Hot and charming as he was, if Peter had fired one of his employees because of a soured relationship—in the middle of probably the busiest time this year, no less—then there was something seriously flawed with his char-acter.

Part of me didn't care about his character though. Who has time to think about character when there's so much else going on? Like the way he was clearly ripped beneath his suit.
I gulped, opening my eyes so that I wouldn't start to visualize what else he had going on under his suit.

At that moment, Alana knocked on my door. I saw her through the glass and gestured her in. "Hey Alana," I said, trying to pretend that I hadn't just been picturing our CEO naked. "What's up?"

She walked in and sat down in front of me. "I just wanted to check in and see how things were going with you," she said. "You seem like you've been doing a great job so far."

"Thanks!" I said brightly. "I'm getting there."

She clearly saw that there was a question just behind my lips that I was too afraid to ask. "Is there anything else?" she asked.

I hesitated. It probably wasn't very appropriate for me to be going around the office, trying to dig up gossip on what had happened to the employee who held my position before me. I had always been a bit of a gossip hound—what person who grew up in a small town wasn't?—but then again I felt justified in my actions based simply on the fact that everyone was so hush-hush about it. Something seemed off.

The look on Alana's face was no longer friendly. It was harsh, challenging. She knew exactly what I wanted to ask, and was warning me with her features not to. So I didn't.

"Nope, that's it," I said. "Just working through this book."

She nodded and took her leave. After our encounter, my curiosity was definitely piqued. I told myself that it was important to know, too, so I could avoid Amanda's mistake.

If the mistake had truly been an illicit relationship with the boss, though, I had a feeling that was going to be a difficult thing for me to avoid if he so chose. My selfcontrol was withering just thinking about it. But I had to be strong. I needed this job.