CHAPTER 10

Peter POV

A few people came up and greeted me when I came in, but most kept their distance. I could tell they were suspicious of me after I fired Amanda, but I didn't really care. Let them be suspicious. Better to be afraid of me than to stand against me.

Georgiana came over with a wide smile on her face, but it wasn't directed at me. "Dane!" she said. "It's so good to see you again."

Even though Dane was slightly shorter than me, he was still at least half a foot taller than Georgiana. She looked like a ballerina, with her light blonde hair, blue eyes, and creamy skin.

She was way too good for him.

"Good to see you too, Georgie," he said, appraising the cobalt dress she wore. It looked good on her, and I hoped she hadn't picked it out especially because she knew he would be there.

To his credit, Dane didn't immediately start acting like an asshole, so I figured I would give them some space. Maybe one of these days he would get his head out of his ass, stop serially dating models with coke habits, and get his shit together.

I made my way to the bar and ordered a beer. At first I almost didn't notice the girl in black at the other end of the bar, sitting on a stool and sipping at the drink in her hand. But Jane had noticed me.

The way her eyes pierced into me while her delicate little mouth sucked on that straw made me hard almost instantly. I grabbed my beer and sidled over to her. There was something different about her, and at first I thought maybe that was just her personality outside of work. When she put them empty glass down on the bartop, however, I realized she was a little drunk.

"Peter," she greeted as I sat down next to her.

I angled my body toward hers, and I caught her eyes glance down my body appreciatively. As much as I liked bashful, innocent Jane, slightly tipsy and seductive Jane seemed to be just as much fun.

"Jane," I said. "You look divine."

She grinned. "So do you," she said. "I like your tie."

It didn't seem like she was looking at my tie. If I had to guess, she was admiring the broadness of my chest. "I like your dress," I replied, taking my own appreciative look at the cleavage that peaked out of her neckline.

She quickly looked away, embarrassed.

I chuckled. "Tell me about yourself, Jane," I commanded.

She looked back over at me, biting her lip nervously. It looked delicious.

"There's not much to tell," she said. "I grew up around here, went to college, came back, now I work for you."

"Surely your life can't actually be summed up by that one jolted sentence?" I inquired. I took a sip of my beer and levelled my gaze with hers. "Tell me something I don't know."

She pursed her lips together while she thought. Was everything this woman did seductive?

"There's not much about me to know," she replied after a moment. "I've never done any traveling or anything like that. I'm not very interesting."

"I find that hard to believe," I replied.

She smirked. "I hope your business acumen isn't as faulty as your knowledge of people."

There it was—that little spark I had seen dancing just below her skin.

After she realized what she had said, her face transformed. She looked horrified. "I'm so sorry!" she said. "That was rude."

She looked down at her hands, but I reached forward and tilted her chin up with my fingers. "I doubt there's much you could do that I wouldn't forgive."

I released her chin and she nodded. "I have to go to the bathroom," she announced suddenly. She jumped off the stool and flitted away. As I watched her go, a thought drifted through my head.

The chase begins