CHAPTER 33

Jane POV

Peter slept like a log, and it caused me a great amount of displeasure. Normally that might not be a problem. I generally preferred not to share a bed with someone who tossed and turned, or woke up constantly to go the bathroom.

But now—now I wanted him to be less peaceful and more alert. He wasn’t, though, which meant I had a tough decision to make.

He was on his back, head tipped to the side. He looked serene, all the traces of stress he normally carried in his face scrubbed away by good sex and a restful sleep.

I, on the other hand, was full of stress. With my phone in my hand, which I held under my pillow just in case, I realized how simple it would be for me to quickly get a shot of him sleeping. He was barely covered by the sheets. All I'd have to do was lift them up slightly, take a quick pic, and head back to sleep. It wasn't even that dark in his room. I probably wouldn't even have to use the flash.

I stared at him mournfully, debating my choice. He had been good to me tonight, but how long would that last? And what would I have when it was over to protect myself? Protection. That's what Amanda had said. I didn't even have to use the photo if I didn't want to.

All I had to do was take it.

My hand, which was holding my cellphone overtop of Peter’s sleeping body, shook violently. I was anxious and scared. And also felt more than a little queasy. It was clear to me then.

I couldn’t do it.

I knew it would be so easy, and that it would be over so fast, but I couldn’t bring myself to betray Peter like that. When Amanda White, former Communications Coordinator at Bricks Industries and allegedly former lover of Peter Bricks, had said what I had to do, it had seemed so easy. Just take a compromising photo of him and everything would pan out. She could get her life back, I could get security, and we could take down Peter Bricks together for his crimes of power.

But it wasn't that simple .

First of all, I thought I had feelings for him. Serious feelings. The kind of feelings that cause you to take pause before doing something that could push the object of your affection away. He had said that he cared about me too. If I did this there would be no going back.

More importantly, though? I was beginning to reevaluate everything that Amanda had said about Peter. He wasn’t some sort of evil corporate bastard who took women, chewed them up, and spat them out. He was a human being, just like the rest of us. And while I might have believed that Peter the billionaire god was capable of such cruelty, I didn’t think that Peter the human was.

So I slipped my phone back under my pillowcase and slowly slid back down into his embrace. I pressed myself into his heat, feeling how right it felt to have my body pressed up against his. I smiled sadly, realizing that I was somehow going to have to fix this situation. But that was a later problem

Now? All I had to do was go back to sleep and wait for the morning .

~

I woke to someone stroking back. Lifting my head from the pillow, I looked up to see that I had never been on a pillow at all, but Peter’s chest. It was his hand tracing circles on my back. It was his warmth enveloping me. I was so happy.

“Good morning,” he murmured, eyes still closed.

I rested my head back on his chest. “Good morning.”

“Did you sleep well?” he asked.

My memory flashed to the night before, when I’d sat over him, debating whether or not to betray him. “Not that well.”