CHAPTER 13

Peter POV

I accepted her invitation up to her apartment, but not for the reason she seemed to think. I had been called many names in my life, but ethically moribund was not, and would never be, one of them. Jane was very drunk, I could tell that much from the way she swayed as we walked up the steps to her building, and the way she fumbled with her keys at the door.

She was also frustratingly beautiful, even as she nearly tripped going up the stairs.

She chatted the whole way to her apartment. "I forgot to do the dishes before I left. I'm really sorry if the place is a mess. Do you like tea or coffee? I could make tea or coffee. I also have more alcohol."

I followed along behind her, watching her ass appreciatively as it jiggled while she walked. That wasn't to say I wasn't listening. On the contrary, I was listening intently. I found her drunk persona to be incredibly entertaining. But never let it be said that I wasn't an expert multitasker.

I'd had a few drinks more that night than I usually would while out with my staff, but I still accepted the one she handed to me when she came out from her kitchen. Unlike Jane, I handled my alcohol very well. People often told me that the only way they could tell that I was drunk was the mischievous gleam I got in my eye.

I wondered if I had that now, and if or what it was doing to Jane.

We sat on the couch next to each other, and she downed her drink quickly. She looked nervous. She clearly thought I had come inside to fuck her, and while she on the right track with my intentions for her, she was mistaken in terms of the timing. Though, as her big green eyes looked over at me nervously, I began to doubt that myself. I had an image of her over the side of the couch, begging me for release, those red lips parted in the throes of powerful orgasm. It was everything I could do to keep my hands to myself.

Then why had I come in? I didn't really know. I supposed I was a glutton for punishment. Though I intended to make her pay for it one day.

"Can I tell you something without getting fired?" she asked.

I chuckled. "You can tell me whatever you want. Nobody's here."

Something unidentifiable passed over her face. Whatever she was going to say clearly wasn't the only thing she wanted to get out.

"You're really hot."

She left it at that. Short and sweet, I supposed.

"Is that why you invited me up here?" I asked.

She met my gaze challengingly in the way that only drunk Jane could. "Maybe," she said. "Or maybe I just wanted a little company. Maybe I needed someone to look at my sink."

"Your sink?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Maybe."

"So many maybes, Jane," I said, leaning in closer to her. I was testing the limits of my own restraint. "If you want something, just ask."