CHAPTER 17

Peter POV

Monday morning couldn't have come quickly enough for me. I had been fantasizing about Jane all weekend, and was determined to make her mine by the end of the week. That was a pretty long deadline, too, all things considered. I was pretty sure I could have her by the end of the day, based on how we had last left things.

I deliberately stayed away from her for the first half of the day, trying to make her sweat. It made me antsy too, but I ignored it. I was no stranger to the game of seduction.

When I swung past her office after lunch, however, she barely spared me a glance. I knocked on the door, and she looked up at me from her computer, even though she had known I was there before.

"Oh, Mr. Bricks," she greeted politely . "What can I do for you?"

So she wanted to play it that way, huh?

I sauntered into the room, and I could tell she was trying very hard not to watch me walk.

"I feel ill at ease after our encounter this weekend, Ms. Avon," I said. "I wanted to ensure that everything about our time spent together was to your satisfaction."

She tinged red. "I don't know to what you're referring to," she said, her voice wavering. She wasn't very good at this. "I had a pleasant evening, and I appreciated the ride home. Not anything left to say."

I strode before her desk and gazed down at her darkly. "Perhaps you don't recall the rest of the evening's events," I said. "Shall I jog your memory?"

She gulped. "I don't think that's necessary," she said quietly.

I had won. I smirked, but chose not torture her any further.

"I hope you have a good day, Ms. Avon," I said. "I look forward to seeing more of you around the office."

Jane POV

I had a feeling that when Peter told me that he looked forward seeing me around the office, that he meant in more than just a professional capacity. I would have had to be deaf not to hear the sexual undertones in his voice. He wanted to see more of me, alright.

His visit left me trembling long after he had left, but I had to try not to fall for his charms. I had decided, after my hangover had worn off, that I couldn't sleep with Peter Bricks. Giving in to him would just be too much trouble.

There was a time when perhaps I wouldn't have worried so much about whether or not sleeping with my boss was a bad idea, but that was a college degree ago and before I’d had a boss that had terminated another employee on suspicious grounds.

I tried to recalibrate my brain, and got up to go wash my hands in order to do so. I felt the cold water ease my discomfort, and I went back to my office feeling refreshed.

I sat down at my desk and checked my email, noticing that I had a new one from an address I didn't recognize.