CHAPTER 30

Jane POV

I stared, wide-eyed, at Amanda. She looked completely serious.

"You want me to help you take down Peter Bricks?" I asked.

She nodded. "Not so loud, though," she hissed.

"How the hell would we even do that?"

She leaned in closer to me. "I know it sounds hard, but it's not as complicated as you would think. We just need evidence."

"Evidence of what?"

"That he's sleeping with you."

I balked, reeling back in my seat. "He's not!"

She looked at me flatly. "You're a horrible liar," she said. "It's all over your face."

I blinked, still not wanting to confirm anything.

Her face grew softer. "I know that you don't trust me, but I'm not here to cause problems for you. I'm here to help you. And I don't blame you at all."

I hadn't thought she had blamed me. But it was nice to know, I sup-posed.

"What exactly constitutes as proof?" I asked. "And how would that even help?"

"A picture, something intimate," she explained. When she saw my horrified expression, she said, "I'm not asking you to make a sex tape, Jane. I just mean that when he's not looking, snap a few photos of him. Something that only someone close to him could have."

I shook my head. "How am I even supposed to do that?" I said. "He'll kill me if he sees."

Or worse. Fire me and blacklist me.

She reached forward and grabbed my hand. Damn, her hand was soft.

"I know, I know," she said. "But you can get them when he's sleeping or something."

I suppressed the urge to pull my hand back. "I don't even see how that would help."

She squeezed her fingers around mine, as if sensing my hesitation. "Protection. He can't fire you for no reason if you have photos of him like that. And you can use them to get me put back in the business good books."

My mouth dropped open. "You want me to blackmail him?"

She wrinkled her nose. "Blackmail is such an ugly word," she replied. "This is just protection. We don't even have to use the pictures if you don't want to. You can just hang onto them until he fires you."

"But then you're still screwed."

She smiled at me. "That's why I'm telling you all this, though. I want to protect you from my fate, but I'm hoping that you'll have the good faith to help me turn my own around."

I pulled my hand back and looked at her, hard, over the table. I tried to dissect her eyes, to see the truth or lies in them. Unlike her, it seemed, I was no good at it.

"I'll think about it," I said. "I'll let you know if I decide to go through with it."

I stood abruptly and dropped some money onto the table. She followed, even though she hadn't finished her coffee.

"That's all I ask," she said. As I strode out the door, my mind still whirring with activity, she called after me. "Good luck!"

Hey guys ! I know this chapter to short I will continue next chapter with Peter POV so stay tuned xo ❤

p/s ; I'm so sorry for not updating in these few day bcs I've been so busy about my midyear exam and I didn't expect for 500 and more people to read this book , thank you so much I love you guys ❤ and if you like/love this book PLEASE vote and comment I will be reply every comment THANKYOU LOVE :')