CHAPTER 39

Jane POV

I waited in the coffee shop just as I had before, waiting for the beautiful woman to walk through the door. I checked my phone anxiously, just in case some sort of emergency drew Peter away from the plan. I wanted this all to be over, as well, but I was still terrified that something would go wrong; that I’d lose Peter.

She walked in the room and I cringed at how perfect she looked. What if Peter took one look at her and decided that actually he was better off with her, even if she was essentially evil? I tried to shake that thought off as she sat down. I just hoped it didn’t show on my face.

“I’m glad you got back to me,” Amanda said. “I was beginning to worry that something had happened to you.”

Her fake concern was almost touching.

“It’s not her you should be worrying about.”

Amanda blanched and turned her head to see where Peter had crept up behind her. Her face hardened from surprise into rage. “You tricked me,” she snapped at me.

Peter came and sat down beside me. “You blackmailed me. I wouldn’t start pretending to take the high road,” he drawled.

She raised her chin and pursed her lips together. “Whatever. I expected her to crack anyway.”

“To crack?” I asked incredulously,all traces of my earlier anxiety wiped away. “You don’t honestly believe your bullshit, do you?”

She sniffed. “Why are you here?” She was addressing Peter now, conveniently ignoring my question.

He relaxed languidly back into his seat in the way that only he could. Even just the way he did that sent a shiver through me. Then there was the fact that he had a look of pure danger on his face that thrilled me more than I cared to admit. I had always assumed that he wasn’t the kind of guy you messed with, but that look only confirmed that for me.

“You messed up, Amanda,” he said casually. “You forgot that not everyone is as twisted as you are. And now I know that you have no ammo against me or my brother.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Well I’m calling your bluff anyway,” he said, fixing her with a caustic grin. “You have to leave town.”

“You can’t do that,” Amanda scoffed.

Peter shrugged. “Okay, you’re right,” he said. “You don’t have to leave town, but I think you’ll find it incredibly difficult to find a job once I’ve spread the word about you. Maybe you could work at Bruno’s Pizza, if you’re set on staying. They’ve been salty with me since I started ordering at Hugo’s a few months ago.”

Amanda did her best impersonation of a fish, opening and closing her mouth in shock. Then, she changed tactics.

“Please,” she said. “Have mercy on me. Forgive me. I’m just...I just love you,” she pleaded. “I’ve always loved you. Can’t you see?”

I bristled, but looked over at Peter, curious to hee how he would handle it. His face was neutral, and he appeared to be thinking about what she had said.

Then he burst out laughing. “Oh, please, Amanda,” he said. “The only person you love is yourself. You’ve lost. At least bow out of the game with a little dignity.”

Her face turned sour, and she shot out of her chair, knocking it backward. “Fine,” she seethed. “Give your brother my regards.”

Then she stomped out of the cafe, leaving a trail of confused customers in her wake.