Barba

"You can't do this! It's unfair, and you know it!" You pleaded with your boyfriend Rafael. The current case he was working on was horrible, complex, and disturbing. A man had held a woman hostage and forced her to help murder another woman. Barba had decided the best option would be to go after both the woman and the man. But you knew that the woman was innocent, she hadn't wanted to kill the other one but had to to save herself.

"Honey, please, I know you're upset but you just don't understand how it -" Rafael tried to explain but he just came across as condescending.

You threw your hands up in the air. "I don't care about the politics, okay?! This lady went through hell and now she's going to have to spend the rest of her life in jail!" You grabbed your bag off his desk.

"Wait, come on, don't leave, we can talk this through, I'm sorry," Rafael came around his desk and grabbed your hand gently, his eyes searching yours to estimate just how angry you were.

Pausing for a moment, you stared at him then glanced away, pulling your hand away as well. "I can't even look at you right now." You whispered.

Rafael was stunned. He blinked and gestured as he stuttered, trying to come up with something else to explain.

You didn't wait to hear. Slinging your bag over your shoulder, you flung the door to his office open. You didn't care if everyone was staring at you. You knew they heard but you were standing up for what you believed in. And Olivia and Amanda agreed with you so you knew you weren't completely crazy.

You stormed out. Stupid Rafael. It was impossible to think straight. You decided to pick up a pint of ice cream and lock yourself up in your apartment, and binge watch happy tv shows so you could forget how awful the real world could be sometimes.

As you were laying up on your couch you resisted the urge to check your cell phone. In your heart you knew you couldn't forgive Rafael if he sent the innocent woman to jail. It was against everything you believed in, and you couldn't be with a man who would ruin someone's life just to further his career.

But... What if he called or texted saying he was sorry? That he wasn't going to prosecute? You were about to reach for it when you heard the noise at the door. It was a short and abrupt knock.

"(Y/n), it's me," the exasperated voice of your boyfriend came from behind the door. You paused, unsure of what to do. As quietly and quickly as you could, you snuck up to the door.

"Come on, I can hear you sneaking around in there." Rafael tried to hold back a laugh.

He knew you too well, damn. "What do you want."

"I want to say I'm sorry..I know this is difficult for you." Rafael started to speak but you weren't interested in his apology.

"But are you going to prosecute her?" You interrupted sharply.

One second. Two seconds. Three seconds. You felt your heart sinking with each moment that passed.

"You know I have to." Rafael whispered. You could hear the pain in his voice and it took all of your strength not to run out there and comfort him.

It took a moment for you to think of a response. "You don't have to do anything."

Rafael exhaled. "I'm sorry."

You frowned, and balled your hands into fists. "Your job is to help innocent people, not put them away for things they didn't do. And I can't ... " you didn't want to say that you couldn't be with some one who could do something so wrong.

There was another pause, and Rafael spoke again. "I think I should go." His tone was flat and cold.

You didn't want him to go. Oh god, why were you letting him go? "That's probably a good idea." You said even though you didn't mean it.

There was a brief moment where you thought, maybe he'll change his mind, and he'll say he was wrong and I'll forgive him. But suddenly, his footsteps started moving away from your door and down the hall.

You stood there by the door, not sure if that really happened. Did this mean you were over? You went over to the couch, flopped down and screamed into your pillow. Everyone told you dating a high profile lawyer was a mistake.

--

The next morning you went into work as usual. You didn't let your colleagues know just how pissed off you were although they were definitely wary.

"Hey, Barba's on tv," Fin said, pointing at the large tv on the wall.

"Whatever, he's on tv all the time," you said, and it came out a bit harsher than you intended.

"No, this is about that case.." Olivia said as she leaned forward, keen to hear Barba.

You clenched your teeth and tried to stop yourself from looking at the tv. There was paperwork to be done! And you already knew what he was going to say!

Fin got up and turned up the volume, standing under the tv as he stared at it.

Well, you were going to hear it anyways, better go ahead and look.

In an unusual twist Rafael looked unkempt and tired. "I have decided that we are going to prosecute Mr Martinez for homicide and kidnapping."

You waited for the next part, but it never came.

"As for Miss Howard we will not be taking action as we believe she is innocent and was a victim of Mr Martinez and not an accomplice. Thank you." Barba left the podium and a news reporter took over.

"Did you do this?" Olivia turned to you, her mouth agape. You felt equally shocked, but you couldn't stick around to talk. You had to find Rafael! There was no time to talk about whatever the hell just happened. You grabbed your coat and bag and headed out the door.

You ended up running into Rafael halfway between the precinct and his building. He looked equally frantic and excited to see you. For once, a bright smile broke out across his face. You hadn't seen that in awhile.

"Rafael! You saved that woman!" You rushed out, grabbing his hands. Rafael gently pulled you inwards, closer to him. His whole demeanor seemed to change; you could sense him relaxing.

"I'm sorry I didn't listen," he murmured. "I knew. I knew the whole time it was wrong."

"Then why didn't you..." You trailed off, trying to think of something to say.

Rafael pinched the bridge of his nose. "I don't know. I might get in serious trouble for this. But I guess I'd rather be known as a compassionate lawyer than a political one."

Rafaels green eyes were weary with all the stress of the day and the uncertainty of the future.

"Thank you," you whispered and wrapped your arms around him, laying your head on his chest. He sighed and closed his eyes, and absentmindedly stroked your hair.

He kissed your forehead and you looked up at him, content.

"Let's go home." Rafael said. The thought of just hanging out with you, doing nothing (except maybe bingeing in ice cream) made him feel content. Especially after your argument, he thought he might never have the chance to again. But now he knew he never wanted to be apart from you ever again.