prologue

••••••••••

••••••••••

JUNE 15TH, 2016 — ❝ WHO THE HELL IS ELOISE HEMINGWAY? ❞

Sitting on her very soft couch, Eloise Hemingway had a book piled on her lap, a notebook strewn on the couch next to her, and her laptop sitting on a pull up table. She was deep in her work, which was obvious to her father, Nikolai, and their family friend, Robert Downey, Jr.

"Working on a new book?" Robert whispered to Nikolai, who nodded, and replied, "Yes, she's just signed a five book deal with Simon and Schuster. So she's really stressed about it."

Laughing, Robert walked over to the gray couch, and said, "Hey, Ellie."

Finding it hard to break away from her work, Eloise said, " . . . Hi."

The house around them had dark, stony black walls, and white marble floors. Robert put his hands on her shoulders, shaking her gently, and said, "El-O-Ise!"

She finally laughed, and looked over at him, and asked, "What is it, Rob?"

"Mark Ruffalo's having a party tonight, and guess who's invited," He sang to her, and she smiled, singing back, "You?"

"No, all of us!" Robert exclaimed, gesturing to she and her father, who had put his hands in his pockets and was smiling at the two of them. "Mark wants to hear about your new book deal, which he coincidentally heard about before me."

"Sorry about that," Eloise apologized, guiltily smiling at Robert. "We happened to have run into each other while I went to get coffee. Is he really in the next Thor movie?"

Robert winked at her, "You'll have to ask him that one, princess."

Eloise laughed again, and asked her father, "What time do I need to get ready, then?"

"Why are you asking me? I don't know when the party's at!" He exclaimed, laughing. He came over, lounging on the other side of her. He carefully moved the pull up table away carefully, keeping it out of her daughter's reach.

"For your information,"  Robert started, "I think you should take a small break from your book writing just for this party." He leaned on the couch, using one arm to support his head, and the other to reach over and grab her hand. "Tom Hiddleston is going to be there."

Her eyes widened, and she said to him, "Don't tease me like that."

Over the last six years, Eloise had been crushing hard on Tom Hiddleston, and had never had the chance to meet him. He was always at the parties that she wasn't at, and she was always at the parties he wasn't at.

Robert knew how much she was dying to meet him. And he'd been dying to set them up on a date, so he hoped that it would happen now. "Isn't it crazy that he's been your crush since you were twenty?"