chapter six

••••••••••

••••••••••

JULY 30TH, 2017 — ❝ ITALY, HERE WE COME! ❞

For packing quickly the previous night and in the morning, Eloise considered herself to be pretty organized, which was the biggest thing she'd probably said about herself.

Normally, she'd overestimate herself, or remembered she didn't pack any underwear, or toothbrush, or book.

But nope! She had everything. For once. All her chargers, clothing, and shampoo and conditioner. Which felt . . . Odd, but nice at the same time. Eloise even remembered to call Penelope, and tell her that she was going out of town, and if she could watch the house that'd be great, she'd pay her when she got back, and then locked up the house nice and securely.

And now, sitting across from Tom on his private jet, which was a bit overwhelming, Eloise felt an odd sense of peace roll through her. She'd gotten out her book, turned off all of her electronics, and wasn't sure what to do now.

Usually, she and her dad flew economy, very rarely first class, but this . . . This was weird, this was something she secretly liked. Gone were the screaming children who kicked your seats or didn't calm down the entire flight, gone were the weird people who she somehow always attracted.

"Are you doing okay?" Tom asked, nervously looking over at her. He'd seen the slightly anxious look in her eyes when he had picked her up in his rental car.

"I'm just surprised I packed everything," Eloise replied, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "I've never been so prepared in such little time before."

He smiled at her, and said, "Have you been to Italy before?"

Eloise nodded. "Once—when I was seventeen. I was only there for a day, too, because my dad was on a book tour."

"That's unfortunate," Tom responded, "it's beautiful. I love it there."

Looking around uncomfortably, Eloise asked, "I'm unsure of how to feel about being in a private plane. I've never been in one before."

"Robert hasn't flown you in his own? Or Mark?" Tom asked, surprised. Eloise shook her head, and replied, "I always fly economy, rarely even first class. I've always had a hard time remembering that I'm comfortably rich."

"It wasn't until after Thor: The Dark World that I started to truly realize how rich I was." Tom looked out his window, and continued, "I still can't believe it."

Eloise smiled, and reached across, and said, "Thank you. Thank you so very much for inviting me to Italy. For taking me here, to this incredibly beautiful country."

Tom's smile made her heart swell, and he replied, "I couldn't not take you along with me, especially when my agent booked me for a one-day photoshoot. And, I thought it would give you the perfect opportunity to study their culture for your book."