chapter five

••••••••••

••••••••••

JULY 29TH, 2017 — ❝ A QUESTION FOR ELOISE. LOVE, TOM. ❞

Three days had passed since Eloise and Tom had planned their date, and when Eloise asked him to meet her at her house, and then they'd go to a nearby diner, he accepted.

"He probably hasn't been in a diner like this since he was a kid," Eloise mindlessly said as she sorted through her closet, Karen sitting on her bed.

Karen was playing around on her computer, googling random stuff, and replied, "Well, it's not like he was raised in royalty."

"Yeah, but he got his big break with Loki seven years ago. Ever since then, he's basically been a I-Don't-Eat-At-Grubby-Diners sort of guy." Taking off the shirt she'd tried on and walking into her closet, Eloise called, "I don't want him to think badly of me!"

"Why would he think badly of you?" Karen asked, and then shook her head at the shirt Eloise had showed her. "He seems to be infatuated with you."

"Yes, but infatuation doesn't really last." Eloise shook her head as she came out of the closet with two different shirts, looking in mirror at them. The mirror was something that Eloise didn't have hanging up; something she kept in her closet. As of right now, it was standing against one of her bookshelves.

"I want this to last, Karen. I know it sounds kinda dumb, but . . . " Eloise put on the flowery blouse, and continued, "I don't want to be another girl he's seen with for less than five months and then dumped slash forgotten in the background."

Biting her lip, Karen knew what she meant. "Honey, I highly doubt he'd do that to you. You wouldn't believe the texts he's been sending to Hemsworth about you."

Eloise froze, turning. "Nothing sexual, right?" She asked, and Karen shook her head no. She sighed, relieved. Ever since Eloise was fifteen had she identified as asexual—a term she did not use lightly.

"It was more like . . . " Karen cleared her throat, and then pretended to say in a really bad imitation of his voice, "I really like her, Chris, but I don't know if she likes me!"

Laughing, Eloise took off the blouse, putting a black tanktop on, and then turned to her, and asked, "Should I just go for casual?"

"Yes, you should go for 'just casual.' You guys practically cuddled on your couch, I think you should be at the 'casual' level. He slept in your guest bedroom." Karen rolled her eyes, and when Eloise finally settled on just jeans, a t-shirt, and her favorite jacket, Karen said, "You look good, Eloise."

"Good enough to hug?" She asked nervously, playing with her hair.

"Yes, good enough to hug." Karen got off the bed, coming over and hugging her friend. "You know, it's been a good while since I've seen you this nervous. It makes me kinda happy."