Chapter 10

"Well, that sucks. For Robin, I mean."

Immediately, the team is off me and observing the new arrivals. I groan as I get up, shaking lose my pole from my arm and brushing off my cape. "Traitors," I mutter.

"Yeah, well, we all got you, so you owe us all seventy dollars," snipes Zatanna, before looking back at who I now see are Jazz and Tucker.

"Who are you two?" asks Kaldur politely. He knows they came in through the Zeta Beam, so they must be allies, but of course he doesn't know who they are.

"This is Jazz," I chirp, going over to them with a big smile. "And Tucker! I would've told you they were coming and all, but I was busy with the whole betrayal thing."

"In my experience, people tend to betray the most competent member of the team to feel better about their own contribution," Jazz says.

The team protests loudly, and I grin widely. "I've found that to be true, too!" I yell over them.

"What are they even doing here?" asks Wally, a tad insensitively.

"Apparently we're here to help your team or something..." Tucker is doing something on his screen when he mutters this, but finishes up and slides it into his pocket.

"New team members?" asks Zatanna. "Great, I guess. What powers do you guys have?"

"... None," mutters Jazz. She's not wearing all her armor today, but carries a backpack I'm sure is full of it and a shiny silver and green belt. Tucker also has most of his stuff off and the belt, but also has a techy watch I didn't notice before.

"Yep. We're really just here to find a couple friends of ours, one of which actually does have powers," supplies Tucker. I file him away as either very trusting or a very bad secret keeper.

I wonder briefly where Batman is.

"What are your skills?" asks Aqualad.

"I am amazing with technology," boasts Tucker with a large grin. "And Jazz here is good at being-"

"I swear, Tucker, if you say backup I will kick you and break your PDA."

"Like you could," he scoffs, but when she glares at him his exasperated expression turns into one of apprehension. "But, er, you definitely rock at... um... humans."

"What?" I ask, before Jazz can.

"I'm a psychology major," she supplies.

"I like psychology, too! I'm a psychic!" M'gann has recovered from whatever had held her back from greeting Tucker and Jazz before and flies over and extends her hand. "You can call me Miss Martian!"

Tucker takes her hand immediately, his technology forgotten. I resist the urge to roll my eyes. We have another Wally... Why does no one ever have a crush on me? I mean, except Zatanna. And maybe Barbara. And a couple girls in my math class. I grin. I do okay on my own.

"Psychic?" Jazz seems skeptic. At least, that's what I see at first, but she seems more... wary? I guess? Like she doesn't trust M'gann because of her powers? I'm about to ask her about it, but Miss Martian is already doing her enthusiasm thing.

"Yep! Don't worry, though, I won't read your minds." She gives a blinding smile.

"So you're from Mars?"

She nods in affirmation.

Jazz continues. She talks directly to Superboy, having to lean around M'gann a bit to see him fully. "And you're from space, too, right?"