Chapter 30

"I'm confused," I announce the second the white fades from my vision and I take in Danny's mindscape.

It looks like Amity Park, but in the winter. Snow coats the buildings, and random ice blocks are scattered around. FentonWorks, the place Jazz-and apparently Danny-live is covered in ice so much that I can barely make out the fact that it is FentonWorks.

Actually, everything is coated in ice. Everything but a couple random things. The school, for instance, is clear of ice on the very front and the flagpole is unfrozen, but past the front wall it's frozen like everything else.

The weirdest part is the green sky. It swirls green and purple, random doors and ice blocks floating around. There is no sun, but it's plenty light.

I wander around, looking for mind-Danny. As I walk, I take note of thicker ice at some places and thinner at others. I wonder where myself is. I'd be a memory here, right?

After a while, I call Danny's name. No response. I groan in frustration as I search streets. Where is this dude? "Danny!"

"What?"

I turn to the voice, watching as Danny stumbles from an alley down the street. "Are you okay?"

He rubs his head. "I think so."

"What is this?" I ask, gesturing around.

He shrugs. I expected nothing else.

"Let's start with what you remember before the GIW," I suggest. He nods, and leads me up into the sky, taking my hand and floating up.

He floats to a seemingly random door and pulls it open. Instantly, I'm looking in a reflection, my hair white, my eyes green. My expression is horrified but relieved, curious. I turn when I hear my-Danny's- name being called, and see Sam and Tucker, Sam's hands hiding her mouth and Tucker terrified.

I shake my head in confusion when I find myself back with Danny outside the door. "What was that?"

"My memory," he answers, confusion lacing his words. "Didn't you ask to see them?"

"Oh, I get it now. Experience the memory, right." He has a strange expression on his face, as if trying to figure me out, before taking my wrist again and floating me over to another door. He shows me an amount of memories that I wouldn't need more than my hands to count. Six, maybe seven? Is that all?

"Do you have the memories now?" Danny asks. I nod.

Even though I already know the answer, I ask him if there are any more.

"No."

Yep. I was right.

"Alright, bring me to the very first memory you remember," I demand. He looks at me blankly. "You know, in the GIW where-"

He holds up a hand to stop me. "Yeah, I know what you mean, but there's no way."

"Why not?"

"If you experience my memory, you'll experience the pain. It's almost as bad remembering it as the experience itself. There's no way I'm letting you do that."

"I can take it," I argue.

"No, you can't. For one, I have a higher pain tolerance because I'm a ghost, and with an ice core. I'm not letting you feel that with your own pain tolerance." Subconsciously, his hand falls to his chest.

"How else do you want to figure it out?"

He grows silent. I smirk, and he throws me a glare. "There's still no way. But maybe..." He floats over to another door. "This is the one-I think- where I made the choice to lose my memories. Maybe." His expression grows clouded with confusion.