Chapter 34

I can barely stand these idiots. They won't shut up. I mean, I love them; they're my team and they're great.

But:

Zatanna's in a simmering rage. Make that three, if you count Artemis and Conner. Wally's having an existential crisis, Kaldur's reserved and silent, and M'gann is in a pouty "I can't believe this" mood. The whole lot just need a good punch. That knocks them out.

M'gann shut down the mind link after Connor snapped at her to. She just kept repeating, "Oh my gosh" in some kind of shock. Seriously, what's up with this team? What happened to being calm and collected in the face of surprise? I guess this just never occurred to them though.

I get it. They're all feeling betrayed. But their emotions are running from them.

I take another glance at the stretcher that once again holds Danny, quickly checking his vitals-vitals that didn't exist until about half an hour ago, before returning to my reserved seat of ignoring these people.

"Don't yell at her! She'll cry!" Connor snaps at Wally.

"I'm not yelling!" he yells back.

"They're getting an earful when we get back." Artemis leans back in her chair, not bothering with Wally in her state of mood.

Zatanna glares, sniping a reply, "They better get a dismissal from Batman."

"Whoaa, too far," I decide, entering the conversation. "Don't say that! They were protecting him!"

"Why are you protecting them?" Connor demands in reply.

"Mount Justice," M'gann announces quietly.

For a moment, the team silences, trying to decide what's going to happen when they get inside. I seize Danny's stretcher and the second the bioship lands, I push him at a fast walk towards the medbay. He doesn't need to be brought into this. He needs medical attention.

As I leave the probably screaming team, I take the time to marvel at Danny's transformation. His heart is beating. His white hair is black, almost like mine, but he has more. There's no glow surrounding his skin anymore, and it's pretty pale.

His scars are still there, and he has heavy bags under his eyes. I'm also concerned about his weight; his ghost side ate, but not as often as a human would. That meant he wasn't eating enough for his human form.

After performing a couple scans to make sure he isn't internally bleeding or something, I prepare him for an IV, swabbing his elbow.

"Robin."

I don't look at Batman, just insert the IV and put the piece of tape over it for security.

"Don't you ignore me too. I got enough of that from the rest of your team."

I resist the urge to smile, but fail. It still shows strain, though. Batman looks at the human Danny with a deep frown.

"Quite the secret."

He sounds like Alfred. I glance back at Danny, nodding.

"You aren't yelling, though."

Oh... I see. He expects me to be mad too. I usually yell when I'm mad. Or push it down and train. Punch concrete. You know. "That's because I'm not mad." I move away from Danny's bed and face Batman. "I already knew."

No reaction. He simply looks at the sleeping Danny and the heart monitor again. "I can't say I'm surprised. You and Phantom are close. He saw you first when he was rescued, you were the one who rescued him. It happens often with abduction victims." He moves over to Danny and performs a couple simple tests I'd already conducted. "If he were to reveal this to anyone, it would be you."