Together

Each minute that ticked by was another minute taken from our lives. Our stomachs constantly churned and released angry growls reminding us that we haven't had any substance in day's. Water was no more, with Miri gone I couldn't reach to loosen the pipe alone and Demarco was too weak to lift me. His beatens still occurred daily and I knew he couldn't withstand much more. I expected his eye's to never open again after each one.

Then I also worried about Miri and I prayed she managed to get free. I also prayed that we would be rescued soon and by the looks of Demarco it needed to be today. I sat on the hard, filthy floor with his head cradled in my lap. I felt it was the least I could do, offer as much comfort as I could. He hasn't woken since this morning when they rushed in and beat him with lead pipes but I knew he was still alive. I constantly placed my hand on his chest to feel his slowly beating heart and watch his shallow breaths that made little whizzes sounds as it passed through his lips. I'm not a doctor but those wheezing sounds could indicate that his lungs may have been punctured by a broken rib or maybe he's catching phenomena from the damp, cold conditions we are in. Bruises and abrasions littered his skin and some looked to be getting infected. Most parts of his body hurt when touched or he moved. One thing I do know is that no normal man could withstand the beatings Demarco has been put through. Any other man would have died day's ago but not Demarco. what's worse is when those bastards enter to pummel him Demarco rises, stands up tall amongst his broken bones and wounds. He'll laugh and taunt them until he falls unconscious. No matter how much I beg for him to just keep quiet and be still he won't. Maybe if he did they'd let him be or the beatings wouldn't be so bad.

I looked down at his bloodied face that rested on my lap and my eye's filled with tears for his suffering. I rubbed his head lightly and begin to hum a soft tune as if he was a baby.  I closed my eye's as I continued on. Some time later I felt his head twitch and I looked down at him. My heart skipped a beat at seeing his eye's open and looking at me, he was still hanging in there. I smiled down at him trying to mask my worry. In a raspy voice Demarco said through his cracked lips. "I need to talk to you cupcake".

"Shhh.. rest Dem. We will talk once we are free". I said tryingto boost his hope as well as mine.

"No, this is important". He said with urgency.

Not wanting to upset him in his current state I nodded my head for him to continue. "It's time you got out Sam. They'll be back soon Sam and the next beating will finish me off I'm sure. The daft fuckers leave the door open when they come in. Taking what strength I have left I'm going to fight back and create a huge diversion. Cupcake you must run out that door".

I started shaking my head no and tears flooded my vision. "No Demarco". I said trying to protest but he cut me off.

"That's an order Samantha. Run out that door and keep running. Don't stop, don't look back. I was able to recall the path in. Go straight until you reach that metal door. Take a left and go up that flight of stairs. Once there go left again. Your door to freedom is on the right. Run with everything you have cupcake". He said sternly.

A sobbed escaped my lips. "I won't do it Dem. I can't leave you Dem. I won't". I insisted.

Reaching his trembling hand up he placed it on my cheek. I held my hand to it. "You must Sam. Not just for me but our son's. They need you more and I can get you out by causing this scene. Sam we both know I'm not making it out but you can. No, you will. I'll see you out of here with my last breath. Promise me cupcake that you will run?"

I squeezed my eye's shut as my body rocked with sobs. "Shhh.. Cupcake don't cry for me. I've had a good run and meeting you and seeing my son's has made me complete. Just tell them about their Pape eh? Tell them that he loved them so much and loved their mother more than his own life. That you all was the best part of me and I know that they'll grow into great men and make me proud. Tell them that their mother was the most beautiful woman I've ever seen and captured my heart the day that she sprayed me with mace, rammed my nuts and wrecked my car". A giggle rose up through my sobs at that memory.

"I can't leave you Dem". I tried again but he wouldn't hear me.

"I've heard you praying for me Sam over and over. You know that I believe but that I'm not a religious man. I've got too many sins to count. I'm bad Sam, my soul's bad. I'm doomed for hell but thank you for praying for me. If I've done one thing right it was you. I know I fucked it up and I kick my ass everyday for it, but know I've never loved anyone like I loved you. You made me in more ways than one". For the first time since our capture I saw his eye's glisten with tears.

"I love you too Demarco. I never stopped and I'm some of the blame. I should've fought for you and not ran. I should've called as soon as I discovered I was having your babies. I'm so sorry and I pray you forgive me". I sobbed holding his head to my chest.

Demarco bit back his own sob and looked up at me. Gripping my head he said. "You don't need to ask for my forgiveness. There's nothing you can do that will ever make me hate you. Yea,  you can piss me off but I can't hate you. You can slit my throat right now and I'd still die loving you".

I leaned down and placed my lips to his swollen mouth and we shared the most heartfelt kiss of our existence. A kiss that will forever be in my heart's box. As I kissed this man all of our good memories washed through my mind.

Notlong afterwards Demarco succumbed to sleep again and I watched his chest pump with each ragged breath. I knew my life wouldn't be the same without him and my heart hurt. Late that night I heard the dreadful sound of those men coming and I knew Demarco's end was here. Demarco having heard as well stirred. "Remember run Sam. For me please. I love you so fucking much cupcake. Never forget that".

The men were here so no more could be said. I watched Demarco lift his battered body off the floor and stand like the king he was. He laughed then taking all he had delivered a series of blows to one of the men. Naturally the other men jumped in but Demarco was holding his own. I eased up on shaky legs and inched toward the door. Dem's eye's caught mine I could see the word run in them, he was silently pleading with me. I nodded and stepped out the door. Looking back he shot me that smile he only reserved for me but horror overtook it as a gun was rammed down his throat. I couldn't leave him. I had to help. Spotting a gun on one of the men hips, I rushed back and grasped it. I fired three rounds and watched all three men fall dead. "My cupcake just killed three men in front of my eye's. The fuck?" Demarco said panting for breath in disbelief.

Picking the other guns up i helped him up and had him lean on me. "I fucking told you I wasn't leaving you and I meant it. It's me and you babe, it always has been." I said with a burst of adrenaline.

We made our way out yet slowly. Demarco hobbled along with my help. We made it to the stairs before we encountered two men.  I shot one as Dem shot the other. We made it up the stairs and could smell our freedom. As we opened the door and stepped out we knew it was the end of the line for both of us.  Over twenty men stood there with their guns trained on us. Demarco and I looked at each other and knew what the other was thinking. He gave my hand a tight squeeze as I returned it. We turned fast and started firing off rounds. We knew we wasn't making it out alive but we would take a few of these bastards with us.