Just Getting By

Relief wrapped around me at knowing that Laney wasn't going to abort my baby. She's going into her eighth month and I've been to ever appointment. Several time's I've tried to reason with her and ask her out to eat to discuss our situation but she refuses. It's clear she wants nothing more to do with me. Am I okay with that? Fuck no, I'm just not dumb enough to upset her in this condition. Believe me if she weren't pregnant I'd probably force her to come back.

Then there's Claudia who won't go away. Well, it's mostly my fault there too. Around Laney's six month I started giving up hope and resumed dating Claudia. It means nothing to me other than a way to pass the time. Sure, I know Claudia wants more but that's not possible. There is only one woman that can have all of me and that's babydoll. I'm not dumb there either, I know Claudia is after a title and my bank account but as far as I'm concerned that title still belongs to Laney and always will. As for now she serves as entertainment. More of someone to go out with, not sleep with even though she tries everything to get me into bed again. Just not going to happen.

Miri finally came back around and I've seen Demarco a few time's but he's like his mom too much and just grunts in greeting. Both kid's know I'm seeing Claudia but don't discuss it. I'm sure neither can stand her but tonight is a big event or so I've been told. Demarco invited me to dinner and from my understanding Laney will be there too. This must be something big and yes, Claudia will be attending with me. If I'm to date her the kid's need to get use to it as well as Laney.

Before we left I coached Claudia on how to deal with everyone especially Demarco and his sidekick he calls mommy. I assuming this isn't going to go over well. Thankfully Sam does check in on me often and is aware Claudia is coming even though she didn't think it was a good idea, however she promised to keep Dem under control.

I slid my jacket on and looked over at Claudia who was perched on Laney's chase. Yep, a lot has changed in the last several month's. I guess it's just the process of me trying to move on and filling a void but no one can fill Laney's shoes. "You ready?" I asked.

Jumping up, she seemed eager to go. "Never been more ready in my life. I'm so excited to meet your children London".

I nodded and looked at her. "Remember, steer clear of Laney. She may come off as sweet and innocent but she can kill you without even moving from her chair".

Claudia cackled. "Oh, London. You worry too much. I'm sure all will go well. Besides, have you forgotten that I'm highly trained and can kill as well?"

I looked over at her, she wasn't short like my babydoll so I didn't need to look down. "Yes, I'm aware but I don't think you're understanding. I trained Laney myself, gave her the exact training I had. Basically she's my mirror but so much more. Don't play with her".

Claudia scrunched up her face. "I wish you would stop talking so highly of her. Remember, she left you and isn't coming back. I'm here now and I find it disrespectful".

I kept my cool and escorted her out. I didn't need this argument right now. Once at the restaurant we was led to a private dining area and everyone was there. Miri looked away and eyed her mother and Demarco. Sam patted Demarco's hand but his impulses won over. "Did I fail to mention that this was a family occasion?"

Laney looked at him and gave him a warning glare. Then she turned to us. "Hello London, Claudia. Glad you could make it".

"Laney". I said sounding cordial.

Claudia nodded in response. We took our seats and I begin the introductions. "Claudia this is Miri and her husband Cole".

Miri gave a slight nod and turned her attention elsewhere.

"This is my son Demarco and Samantha". Claudia smiled.

"Nice to finally have met you". She said.

"Sup hoe". Demarco replied.

Miri grinned and Laney glared at him. "Demarco, there's no need for that".

He rolled his eye's. "Fine, sup hooker".

Miri laughed out this time as Cole gave Dem a high five. "Demarco". Laney hissed.

"I'm sorry mommy but you just can't compare a queen to a hoe". Demarco said.

"Enough". Laney told him sternly.

Then she looked at Claudia. "Please excuse my son's ill behavior. I promise he's not this bad. He has to warm up to people a bit".

"Yea, by sitting them on fire". Demarco added.

"D-MAR-CO". Laney strained out using his full name.

"Are we going to have any more problems?" She said arching a brow at him.

"No mommy, I'm sorry.". Demarco mumbled.

Finally thing's calmed down and we begin to eat. Claudia tried to make polite conversation but it was clear they wasn't interested. Claudia looked at Laney. "So, it must be horrible to be pregnant at your age?"

Oh, fuck a duck. Claudia had to go there. I watched as Cole stopped with the fork at his mouth and the other's sat up straight, food forgotten. Everyone eyed Laney waiting for her response. Smiling pleasantly she said. "I must admit that it's more tiring but thing's have gone well".

Everyone breathed again and continued eating. Then Claudia did it again. "Do you get this big with all your pregnancies?"

Once again, Cole stopped with the fork mid stride and looked from Laney to Claudia. The other's sat their silverware down and focused on Laney. She locked eye's with Sam and I saw Sam slightly shake her head no. Before Laney could respond Miri spoke up. "I don't think that's a nice thing to say. I mean do you always look this ugly are is it bad lighting".

The boy's roared with laughter and Laney spoke up. "No, it's okay. I mean after all I am carrying a Harper child and their known to be big babies".

Ha! That little jab didn't go unnoticed no matter how sweetly she put it. Yep, Claudia was getting to Laney. Finally dessert came but Demarco interrupted. "I wanted everyone here for this moment. I know the last time I didn't do it right so here I go again".

Standing up, he pulled Sam to her feet then hit his knee. He pulled a rumpled piece of paper from his pocket and read. "Sam, cupcake. I want to ask for your hand in marriage... again. I really want you to be my wife and have my babies. You also do that special thing I like so much..."

"Demarco? Really?" Laney hissed.

Cole laughed. "Yea, that special thing also sealed the deal with Miri".

I glared at him and he instantly stopped laughing. "Sorry. It's not what you think. I was referring to her cookies. Miri bakes some sweet cookies".

"Okay seriously. That's not what the paper says, give me more credit than that". Demarco said taking Sam's hand.

"Cupcake, I can't begin to describe the love I have for you. I couldn't put it into word's in a million year's. You gave me two precious boy's and I can't wait for more. I wish you could feel what you make me feel. Be my queen baby. Samantha, please make me a better man, make me complete. Marry me?"

Sam stood with her hand over her mouth and cried. "Yes, a thousand time's yes. Yes, yes, Demy".

Demarco slid the ring on het hand and I noticed it was Laney's old ring. Well technically it belonged to my great grandmother and has been passed down through the Harper wives. I can still recall the day I slid it on babydoll's finger and the look on her face. By passing this ring to Sam she was officially passing the crown. Obviously Dem went to Laney before hand about this. Turning my attention back to the happenings, Demarco swooped Sam up in a hug and said. "Does this mean you'll do the special thing tonite cupcake?"

"Yea, make that hotdog dance". Cole laughed.

Miri smacked Cole's arm as Demarco shot him a deadly look. Clearly this was a joke between them.
Champagne was poured for all except Miss prego. The night was wearing to and end and everyone was about to leave when Laney gasped. "Oh my God, my water just broke".

I along with everyone except Claudia rushed to her. My heart beat rapidly as I started shouting orders. She was only eight month's along and this could end bad.