bad reputation (e)

(imagine ethan has shawn's voice) 

y/e/c - your eye color

925 words

-

after adam left the stage after his unimpressive clarinet performance, all you could hear was a loud crowd, no clapping including. that was until it went silent when the school's activity coordinator announced who was going up on the stage to sing a solo.

"next up, ethan grant dolan singing bad reputation by shawn mendes." -this is what got everybody's attention gathered. only y/n from the whole school knew he could sing. 

everybody turned silent and ethan came up on stage. all the attention was on him, unlike adam and the others when they were up; and since it took place during school hours and the microphone he was singing into was really loud, everybody heard him clearly.

"she got a bad reputation, she takes the long way home" 

including y/n. 

ethan and y/n broke up a few weeks ago because everybody was spreading rumors about how y/n slept with ethan's friends many times before when they were dating. she broke up with him because no matter how many times ethan said he believed her and none of them, she felt guilty even when she didn't do anything. she didn't want to be with ethan if she was going to be questioning his beliefs even the slightest bit.  

"and all of my friend's seen her naked, or so the story goes"  he rolled his eyes the same time he sang the "or as the story goes" part. 

"mistakes we all make them, but they won't let it go."  he continued, with his eyes still closed.

"'cause she got a bad reputation, but i know what they don't know."  he opened his eyes and the first thing that met them was y/n's . the words coming out of his mouth, the lyrics to the song he was singing were true.

 he did know something nobody besides him knew. it was a secret- he was going to love her no matter what. it's not possible for somebody to tell the future like that but he was so so sure, and to top it all off, he was right.

 " and I don't care what they say about you baby, they don't know what you've been through"  he sang, a little louder than the other parts, still looking at y/n. 

he closed his eyes again to focus more on the song. if he left them open and looked at y/n once a while at the perfect times, he thought he would've forgotten the lyrics. 

"and trust me i could be the one to treat you like a lady,  let me see what's underneath, all I need is you" he opened his eyes again after promising himself not to. he was worried he would've forgotten the lyrics but he was so into the music now, it was okay to drift off into y/n's eyes once a while. 

every time ethan looked into her eyes, he saw them looking back, each time a little more full of lust and sadness. and when he didn't look at her, it was okay because everybody in the whole audience did once a while. all attention was on them but at the same time, it felt like the whole school wasn't in the auditorium. 

"she got a bad reputation, nobody gets too close, a sight of a soul when it's breaking, making my heart grow cold; and into the deeper, she's sinking, I'm begging her please don't let go, she's got a bad reputation. but she's all that, all I want though."  he opened his eyes again, this time he watched the audience, all watching him with wide eyes. nobody but y/n  knew he could've sing like i stated earlier, and that's why they were all surprised that the wonderful lyrics came out of the wonderful voice of ethan. 

then, ethan looked at y/n and his eyes were stuck there for a long time, even when he continued singing. "and I don't care what they say about you baby, they don't know what you've been through, trust me, i could be the one to treat you like a lady; let me see what's underneath, all I need is you" his eyes never left y/n's now sad ones. 

y/n was about to cry. she walked out of the auditorium with tears about to go further then be stuck in her throat. she didn't want to be in front of all these people when she cried, if she did. 

she left slowly with ethan's and everybody else's eyes following her. her face was red and her eyes were teary. she ran the last steps out, up the stairs with full evidence of her being upset all on her face. 

"nobody knows the way that i have noticed her, said; nobody knows the weight that's on her shoulders, said; nobody knows the way that I know her, said; she got it bad, she got it bad." ethan didn't know if he should stop and follow her or stay there and sing more to the audience, even though y/n was the reason he was standing there in the first place. 

on the other hand, y/n's back was against the wall as she slid down it with tears in her eyes. she began to cry with ethan singing in the background.  

 "nobody knows the way that I know her, said; nobody knows the weight that's on her shoulders, said; nobody knows the way that I know her, said. she got it bad, she got it bad." 

y/n slowly jerked up to someone tapping on her shoulder. it was ethan. 

-

-

isn't it so freaking weird how there are capital letters? like we would've still know the beginning of sentences and nouns without them.