Everlong

Hello
I've waited here for you
Everlong 
Tonight I throw myself in two
Out of the red
Out of her head she sang 
Come down and waste away with me
Down with me
Slow, how you wanted it to be
I'm over my head
Out of her head she sang 
And I wonder
When I sing along with you
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again
The only thing I'll ever ask of you
You've got to promise not to stop when I say when 
- Foo Fighters

I remember in the eighties when I was just starting up Metallica with James there was always this girl who worked in this really old and worn down record shop. She always seemed a bit off and was inept when it came to conversing with others. Her Norwegian accent was so thick that when words came out of her mouth there was a lisp that followed it. As far as I could tell she wore no makeup, hadn't washed her hair in at least a month because of how greasy it was, and was wearing so many clothes that she was just as covered up as a nun usually is. 

I remember coming up to her to buy the Iron Maiden Killers record. She packed away my purchase and to be honest I didn't really think that much about it. She was just this odd foreign girl that happened to work where I usually hung out. So what, whatever, right? I thought that until later that night I am the rest of the band (Including Ron and Dave at the time) went to this really shabby and sleazy looking yet popular lit up club in Los Angeles at the time, The Whiskey A Go Go. Keep in mind black metal wasn't really popular around this time, especially in Los Angeles. So when we saw this band called The Virgin Suicides headlining all that was going through my mind was that it was going to be another glam rock or hair metal band with tons of makeup, glitzy clothes, and big fucking hair posing as this dark band to grab attention. 

So when we entered we sat by the bar of the club and merely waited for them to come on. However, to all of our surprises when we saw them entering onto stage they were wearing makeup, but it wasn't 'cutesy' or 'dolly'. In all honesty it was rather veering and weird looking. It covered all of their faces, but it wasn't like Kiss or even Alice Cooper it was just unique I guess. Along with that they weren't a bunch of guys walking onto stage it was a bunch of girls with instruments. Sure, you had a ton of wanna be 'empowering' female metal bands hanging around the area, but those guys looked much more threatening and imposing than anyone else did. Plus until further closer inspection you couldn't really tell they were women. They were extremely androgynous, especially back then.

Of course I along with the other patrons of the establishment were rather intrigued, but appearance is only part of the whole presentation. They could've been like the fucking Go-Go's for all we knew.  However, once she opened her mouth this raspy, off-putting, almost death like growl came out of her throat as she continued to grab the attention of the audience. At first I thought you were just going to be this edgy looking riot grrrl band or something of the like. But yet again she never failed to blow expectations out of the water for yourself. As she slung her jet black Z Dean guitar across her torso her eyes pierced black hole into the audience as she continued up onstage. All throughout her performance Rita would let out this thunderous deep animal like sound that was a mixture between growling and screaming. This would certainly go on to inspire other artist in the Scandinavian countries and even Pantera to some extent, but this sound that she were working with was practically unheard of. It was alien, it was new. It was nothing like any other thrash metal band that would be popular around this time, and it certainly sounded like nothing we were working with currently. It was otherworldly even with how experimental and out there it was. 

However, just as quickly as it started it ended. The patrons started to leave exclaiming about how 'satanic' it was and how 'it wasn't even real music'. But to me and the guys it was almost heavenly. It was brutal and dark. We had to meet those guys. As those guys were exiting the stage we blocked their pathway making it impossible to leave our line of vision.

"This was much to her dismay", I chuckled as I continued to the interviewer, "She gave me the gloomy look and told me to quote 'Piss off before I make you'." I finished reminiscing mimicking her accent.

To be honest I didn't know it was her until she opened her mouth. She was pretty forgettable to begin with and unrecognizable with all the makeup she had on. However, her voice was something I couldn't forget. How could you? It was the only Norwegian sounding one in the area. You couldn't confuse it for anything or anyone else. "Holy shit it's you!" I remembered I yelled out at her like some idiot. She scoffed and pushed me out of her way (quite easily with her being a bit taller than I was and having a bit more muscle mass on her) and her band mates followed suit and did the same thing grumbling something in what I assume was Norwegian as they exited the club just as quickly as we had entered.

They guys and I looked towards their general direction in confusion. Those girls, Rita in particularly, were oddities to us. Before she was just normal. She worked in a record shop, didn't speak that good english, so what? It was nothing to get emotional over or even ponder over, but now questions just rose up whenever I kept thinking about her. She was different. She for sure wasn't like the rest of the girls in Los Angeles, and probably not like the rest in the state of California. I had to find out more about her. This lead me to this conclusion: I needed to go to that record store again, and quickly.

Thoughts arrived to my mind and it was seeing across it, but this time I wasn't going to let them fade away. It felt like I was beginning my life again. It was this weird fascination I had with her. I wondered if things with her would feel this real with her forever. I wanted her to waste away with me and hang out with me. I was that attracted to this girl. I felt like I was waiting there for her, everlong.