'Cause I Don't Get Sleep

City's breaking down on a camel's back
They just have to go 'cause they don't know whack
So while you fill the streets, it's appealing to see
You won't get undercounted 'cause you're damned and free
You got a new horizon, it's ephemeral style
A melancholy town where we never smile
And all I wanna hear is the message beep
My dreams, they got her kissing, 'cause I don't get sleep, no
Windmill, windmill for the land
Turn forever hand in hand
Take it all in on your stride
It is ticking, falling down
Love forever, love has freely
Turned forever you and me
Windmill, windmill for the land
Is everybody in? - Gorillaz

I sighed in anxiousness and anticipation as I glanced down towards my watch on my wrist. 'It's nearly 5:30 he should be here by now.' I thought. Did he decide to ditch me? I wondered. Knowing him he'd gladly do it in a heart beat. Knowing him and acknowledging our relationship it wouldn't surprise me one bit. Yet, I was still hoping that the mention of Rita would draw him out of his house towards me regardless of his thoughts and feelings towards me. 

It was no secret that we both hated each other and that our relationship has been strained since the early eighties when James and I kicked him out of Metallica. But despite all of that Mustaine's relationship with Rita has been nothing but pleasant on both ends. I mean he was almost as tearful as Lilly at the funeral and that's saying something.

"Hey Dave." I greeted trying to sound as nice as possible.

He came up to me and sat down in the shade under the umbrella of the cafe. Since he was still in the area (due to the filming of this documentary) it was just much more efficient to meet each other now. 

"What do you want Ulrich? You finally want to give me the credit to those songs before you release them?" He questioned with a bit of bitterness evident within his voice.

"No," I replied. "I called you here because of Rita." I revealed.

His eyes darkened a bit as he sighed and looked towards me with a hint of disappointment and even sadness evident within his eyes. "So you are finally willing to learn more about the girl you claim to love almost twenty years after she died?" He replied skeptically.

"Yeah, with those whole documentary series going on it's really bringing me down memory lane. I figured I guess it's time to get some closure." I figured.

He sighed and looked towards me once more. "Yeah, I guess I can sympathize.  We were just talking a few days before she died. We were thinking about doing a joint tour again. It's a shame too. I was looking forward to it." He answered.

"Listen," I started. "I'm about to go to Norway to try and find her old house. Do you have any idea where it would be?"

"Well yeah of course I know where it is,  but why should I tell you?" He pondered. "I bet you didn't even know the thing existed until a few days ago." 

I looked away in slight embarrassment realizing that he hit a nerve.

"C'mon man." He murmured. "You knew her before I did and you guys were married yet you're now just decided to maybe go to that old house of hers? For all you know it could be destroyed and demolished by now." He grumbled.

"Dave I know you and I don't have the best track record but could you please-"

"No" He cut me off. "You were always an asshole to me yet now when it comes to some dead girl you barely gave a shit about two decades suddenly you want to talk. You guys kicked me out while on tour. And you know who helped me get back. Not you, James, or even Cliff. Rita did. She helped me get back home and supported me in getting Megadeth up and running. Yet you could only do jack shit. Now's she dead and guess what no one really knows why and no one can bring her back." 

Once finished with his tirade he abruptly stood up and set some money down to pay for the bill. 

"Listen Lars I can almost believe that you miss her, but so does everyone else. What makes you so special? Everyone else had their chance to mourn 18 years ago when she died. Some of us are still mourning over her death, right?" He paused for a second allowing me to think back to Lilly and Fenriz when I met up with them. They still seemed so heartbroken it was almost as if it pained them to even bring up her name. I mean Lilly was practically reclusive and a homebody now and Fenriz while he was still going the look in his eyes when speaking about Rita was pure sorrow. 

"Yet, you are just starting to tear up now, after all these years, really? You seemed to get over Rita rather easily. You had how many wives after her? You rebounded rather quickly don't you think?" He finished. "It might be a little bit too fucking late to want to find out about her now." You had several marriages to do so. Why now?"

"I love her."

He scoffed as I went on to continue. "I went through the note she gave me I went through some of the possessions she had while alive. She loved me, and I was a damn fool. It's time for me to make up for being less of a man than I should have been. I just need to know where her house is. I'll leave you alone." I began to plead with him. "Just tell me where that house is."

He sighed and took out a crumbled piece of paper and began to jot down the address.  

As he finished he leaned back against the wall and was about to hail a cab. "You're lucky I like her enough to help you Ulrich." He grumbled with distaste. "Best of luck to you. I hope you get the closure you deserve." He stated walking off into the taxi before him.

As he closed the car door in my face our eyes met for only a few mere seconds, but in those moments a quiet understanding and resolution between us was made. It became bluntly clear to me that whether I liked it or not I would have to go to Norway. Probably much sooner rather than I had expected. He may never say it outlaid, but he needed the closure too. Maybe, not as much as I did, but with the same amount of desperation that drove me to begin this whole search.

When I gazed down at the small piece of paper with your address on it I knew that time was ticking away and the world as knew it was falling down around me. You won't get undercounted this time 'cause you're damned and free now. You got a new horizon, it's ephemeral style. We are turned forever hand in hand. Yet when alive you took it all in on your stride. And all I wanna hear is the message beep. I want to finally get to the bottom of this to the bottom of you. It's 'cause I don't get sleep.

A/N: Looking for some beta readers for some unpublished works I'm thinking of putting up soon. If interested please DM me or tell me in the comments.