Like a Stone

On a cobweb afternoon,
In a room full of emptiness
By a freeway I confess
I was lost in the pages of a book full of death;
Reading how we'll die alone.
And if we're good we'll lay to rest,
Anywhere we wanna go.
In your house I long to be;
Room by room patiently,
I'll wait for you there like a stone.
I'll wait for you there alone.
And on my deathbed I will pray to the gods and the angels,
Like a pagan to anyone who will take me to heaven;
To a place I recall, I was there so long ago.
The sky was bruised, the wine was bled, and there you led me on. - Audioslave

I sighed as I was reminded of Lilly and I's conversion no less than 24 hours ago. She seemed tired  and beyond annoyed yet for some reason she still invited me over to her house. She never really saw me in a favorable light, even when Rita was alive to say she didn't care for me was taking it lightly. However, once Rita passed away her contempt for me grew even more. It was so bad that at the funeral she completely disregarded me and acted as though I didn't exist (or even better would refer to me as 'him' during her speech.) Point being is that she despised me, so her inviting me over to her house to discuss Rita of all things was something that was completely unheard of, but what could've possibly happened to allow Lilly to just allow me into her house.

I shook my head trying to shake away the thoughts that arose when thinking of her and just kept my eyes on the road until I saw her house come up in the distance. It wasn't big or anything if anything it looked like a regular upper middle class house in the suburbs, but then again she never really preferred bigger or fancier things. It was always something so simplistic in the fear of selling out or whatever.  Once I came across her house I saw her standing outside propped against her window still with a newly lit cigarette in hand and her hair and appearance, once again, as disheveled as humanly possible. Once I parked infant of her driveway she immediately hid back in her house leaving the door open for me. 

She sat at the table adjacent to the wall with a cup of coffee in her hands and the book given to her presumably by Rita at the hearing.  "So, you are finally trying to find Rita's house? Well I'll be damned." She stated nonchalantly while bending back the pages in the book. 

Before I could open m mouth to speak she immediately tossed me the book that was in her hand. "Do you know what this is?" She questioned softly. I shook my head as I bent down to pick the novel from off the ground only to notice that the engravings on the cover of the book were similar to the ones she gave me. However, instead of a lonesome figure in the center there stood a sun setting behind the vast waves of the ocean. Yet still like last time the title of the book along with the authors name was directly below the picture. "This was the book that was given to me at her hearing." She affirmed rather grimly. "To tell you the truth," she continued, "I wanted the book you have been 'blessed' with by her. She cherished that book more than any other. Yet, I wasn't worthy of it. You were." She finished with a certain amount of spite found in her voice.

"Go on!" she urged me. "Read what's inside." She instructed while lighting up another cigarette.

'Dear Lilly,

You have always been a person who I have treasured the most. You've been with me since we were dumb kids back in Norway. I will always treasure our years together, but I have now reached a brick wall. I think I've been at it for a long time, but I've just acknowledged it now. I have nothing left to lose. Once you reach the end it's very lonely. And I know there is nothing more to this. I feel like I've just been slaving my life away to this unforeseeable force only for it to strip away what's left of me. It's not worth it. Imagine going through life wishing you were dead yet not having the guts to do it earlier causing everyone around you to get close to you. I'm sorry I have lead you on for so long. Bye.

Sincerely,

Rita'

The handwriting was so unkept. This was clearly the writing of a person at their wits end. The writing on the page looked like it was almost done frantically. It was nothing, but psycho babble to me. Yet even with this all mentioned she still bothered to keep as concise and to the point as she could.

"Even though I have known her for all the thirty-eight years of her life, yet felt it was best to just leave me." She proclaimed with her voice crackling. "I loved that woman like she was my own flesh and blood sister, yet she gave that book to you of all people. When I have known her since we were mere children. She gave it to you!" She nearly hissed out between tears.

"Whatever," She stated leaning back in her chair. "You came here for something. So what do you want, Ulrich?" She said with venom still held within her voice. 

"The key." 

She automatically busted out laughing as she held her head back towards the ceiling. "You just have to take everything from me don't you?" She pondered puffing out the nicotine smoke from between her lips. 

She then put her hand down her shirt only to pull out a set of keys dangling from a thin piece of rope. She got up from her seat and approached me with a certain amount of anger and force behind every one of her steps. She glared down my sights  and plopped the key down into my hand.  Once she turned away from me she hissed out in a barely audible but clearly threatening tone. "Leave, and don't return." She ordered. "If it isn't about Rita I don't want to hear from you again." 

"I've made my amends to her when she died, but you have yet to do so and it has been 18 years since she has died."

She pushed me towards the door and slammed it on me prompting me to go back towards my car with my gaze set downwards towards the key that laid present in my hands.

I'll be there Rita. I'll be waiting there, alone. I'll be waiting there waiting patiently, room by room. Your house is where I long to be. I'll wait for you there like a stone.