Chapter 8: When God opens a door, watch out for the brick wall behind it.

AS IT TURNED out, not everyone left me alone.

My brother Aidan stood leaning against the wall. I gathered the family chose him to be my moral support during this troubling time. I was surprised by that; in my opinion, Aidan's a sanctimonious douche. I get along better with Sean.

"Did you forget something?" I sneered. "Can't be your soul...you must have sold that a long time ago."

Ignoring that, he locked the door and walked over to sit next to me. "It's not the end of the world, little sister."

"For you." Much to my embarrassment, I discovered I had actually started to cry. I wiped under my eyes. "I didn't cause this, Aidan. But for Patrick having sex with minors, I would not have called the FBI."

"I know," he said quietly.

"It's not fair."

"I agree."

"Patrick keeps his pride of place and I get kicked out." I glared at him. "This is whistleblower shit, Aidan."

"Not really," he replied. "You were right to be shocked and angry. You were not right to make Molotov Cocktails to bomb Pat's office and to call the FBI."

"It was the best and most effective action I could take at the time."

He took a deep breath, blew it out, and rubbed his crew cut head. "And that's why you've lost your place. This is not about what is right and what is wrong. It's about our clients and the business of law. You have a good head on your shoulders, Siobhan, but if you can't understand that, then you will have difficulty practicing law."

"Oh, please." I rolled my eyes. "If I'd walked in on Pat and he was only talking to the pimp, it'd be one thing. It's another thing altogether for him to have brought in a group of naked underage girls into this place of business for the purposes of sexual intercourse."

Aidan had the grace to look ashamed. "I know, and I agree. But Pat brings in a lot of money."

"So you're saying that it's okay he's a pedophile because he's a rainmaker."

He considered that, and then nodded. "Yes. That's it, pretty much."

"It's immoral and illegal."

"Some people here don't think so. Some people here think that those girls have a better life here doing what they're doing than they would living in some Eastern European pile of shit."

I raised an eyebrow. "Then some people will be sure to burn in hell for their moral depravity. Also, some people might want to go back to law school for a Constitutional law refresher course."

Aidan's lips thinned out and he shifted in his chair. "Siobhan, we're talking in circles. You've got to let it go and move on.

"Are you going to sing, Aidan? Are you going to start singing 'Let It Go' for me?"

He rubbed the bridge of his nose, as if staving off a headache. "Siobhan, be serious. I'm trying to help you."

I leaned forward. "Alright Aidan. I'll let it go. I will happily let it go. Just give me my trust fund back and I will let it go so far that none of you will ever see or hear from me again." I paused. "Outside of court. You'll probably go up against me in court, of course. But on a personal level, I'm out of here. You all suck."

He looked puzzled. "You had a trust fund?"

Omigod. I rolled my eyes and spoke slowly. "Yes, Aidan. I. Had. A. Trust. Fund."

"I didn't know you had a trust fund."

"Really?" I stared at him. "Who do you think's been supporting me all these years?"