Chapter 31: The City of Miracles

THE WHOLE THING was asinine.

People were going to be kicked out because they couldn't afford required grooming materials that - in all fairness - should be given to them by the Company because they were required. Bullshit. Anything required should be provided by the company. Something had to be done, or good people would be cut. That wasn't fair.

Since I'm all about fair, I marched to the management offices. It was virtually empty, except for Hector, the gnome man who did my uniform fitting during the interview. He was in his cubicle, working on his computer.

I stuck my head in. "Hola, amigo. ¿Qué tal?"

"Qué tal yourself, Big Red," he said as he glanced over at me. "How's training?"

"Confusing," I took a seat by his desk. "I am confused."

He sat back and gave me his undivided attention. "Alrighty then. How may I help clear up this confusion?"

"Well, it's like this, Hector. I believe in merit. I think people should be employed if they display merit."

He nodded. "I agree. I think merit is important."

"I also don't think merit is being about to buy $450 worth of Clarins shit."

"I concur."

"Further, I fail to understand how having the means to buy $450 worth of Clarins make up is related to the skillset needed to be able to complete the actual job requirements."

"Ah. I see. If it's any consolation, I agree that the requirement to purchase $450 worth of Clarins is not related to being a flight attendant." He turned back to the computer. "But it's required, so do it."

"You realize you're going to lose three-quarters of the class because they don't have the means to purchase these items?" I studied him closely. "Is it fair to deny opportunity to an individual because, at this stage in their lives, they don't have the money to purchase a $150 hairbrush?"

He shifted in his chair uncomfortably. "No, but there's nothing that can be done about it."

And then I knew what I had to do. It was perfect. I leaned forward conspiratorially. "Hector. If I ask something from you, will you get me fired?"

"Depends on what you ask."

"Can you get me everyone's hair and makeup prescription and email it to me?'

Now it was his turn to study me back. "Why would you need everyone's hair and makeup prescription?"

"No reason." I waved my hand. "No reason at all."

He studied me a few seconds longer, smiled, and turned to his computer. A few keystrokes later, and my cellphone chimed an email notification. "This didn't happen," he told me.

"Doesn't the Company track email?"

"I sent it from Christophe's Outlook."

I raised an eyebrow. He shrugged.

"Fucker dumped me. It's my get back."

I stood up. "Well then, I really need to go to lunch. When are you going to be teaching us?"

"A couple of weeks. Security training. Try not to kicked out before then. I'm looking forward to kicking you out myself."

"Oh, I don't know Hector, I look awesome in the TransGlobal bun." I patted it carefully. "

"Get out, Red." He waved dismissively. "Get out. Go eat lunch. Scarf tying is coming up next. You'll need your energy."

I blew him a kiss in reply and headed out towards the courtyard. People were meandering around from different offices - we were encouraged to mingle during these times because TransGlobal liked the idea that Wall Street saw how attractive its recruits were - so it was a challenge to find a secluded spot.