Chapter 15: Let's make a deal

"I WANT TO break up," I told Alex.

He looked up at me over the morning edition of the International Financial Times and frowned.

"This isn't working for me anymore," I explained as I fed the dog a strip of my bacon. "It's not you, it's me."

Alex and I were sitting at the kitchen table and having breakfast. He was already dressed for work. I was in a black silk La Perla nightgown with matching robe. There was really no reason to get dressed. It's not like I had anywhere to be.

It had been nearly two weeks since my Club Morgue adventure. I had sustained a moderate concussion, bruised rips, various abrasion, and a broken thumb that somehow extended to my wrist. As such, I was in a cast, but I had accessorized it with a black cast cover. Amelia had insisted on black, because black goes with everything. I had to admit, it did coordinate nicely with my nightgown.

Alex hadn't been pleased with my adventure. Ever since, he'd been a little less...patient? I was on a bit of a lock down - couldn't go anywhere without his permission, had to check in when I was out, that kind of thing - but it was cool, mainly because I didn't feel like going anywhere. When he'd discovered I'd called "that FBI agent" (his nickname for Donnelly) instead of him, he was even less pleased. "You know he's cultivating you, right?" he'd said, his voice so full of condescension he needed a bucket to catch the overflow. "He's not your friend, Siobhan. He's really not your friend."

Whatever. I nibbled on a slice of toast. I didn't care one way or another if Donnelly was my friend. What I did know is I wanted to do him. And date him. But really, do him. Dating was cool, but I was really more about the sex.

Anyhoo, Alex took my announcement that I wanted to break up with a surprising amount of grace. He smiled, took a sip of his coffee, then shook out a wrinkle in the paper. "Alright. I'll bite. Why do you want to break up, Siobhan?"

"I don't know," I sighed. "A myriad of reasons."

"One would be fine."

"I don't want to hurt your feelings."

He waved his hand dismissively. "I'll be fine. I appreciate your candor. Go ahead." He paused. "I'm listening."

I threw the dog another slice of bacon. "I think I may have feelings for Special Agent Donnelly, and I don't think it's fair to have sex...I mean, date him when I'm engaged to you."

"Well, then." He folded the paper and neatly sat it down so that it fit under the lip of his plate. "That's very thoughtful of you, Siobhan. I appreciate your respect."

I batted my eyes. "I do love you, Alex. I'm just not in love with you."

He smiled a small smile. "Hmm. I see." He straightened his utensils. "Have you discussed your feelings with Special Agent Donnelly?"

"No." The dog butted his head up against my hand for more bacon. "There hasn't really been a chance."

"Hmm." He sipped his coffee. "Then how do you know he's interested in you?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I just feel like he's interested in me."

He regarded me thoughtfully. "Be that as it may, have you considered that he may not want to date you?"

"Oh please." I rolled my eyes. "He wants to date me. I mean, come on Alex, look at me. What man wouldn't want to date me."

He smiled at me tightly. "Sex doesn't mean relationship, Siobhan. While I'm very sure that Special Agent Donnelly is physically attracted to you, I'm not sure that he's interested in having a relationship with you."