Chapter 19

A Few days later...

Church. Sunday. The day we are to celebrate God or worship him. Normally, I would enjoy church, but not with Brendon. Not when I knew that he could be killing the people I love behind my back. As we sat in the car, I thought about all the things Brendon would be doing to all the people he has killed. I shook my head, about to get sick over all the blood that I was picturing in my head. My mom looked back at me, sensing my discomfort. "Are you alright, sweetheart?" I looked into her eyes, nodding. "Are you sure? We can always go home and read the bible." I shook my head and sighed. "No, I'm fine, mom. I just can't wait for today's sermon." She smiled at me, then looked over at my dad with the largest grin slapped on her face. "You hear that, honey? She's actually enjoying the sermons." My dad chuckled as he turned into the church parking lot. "Obviously. I never knew that you loved the sermons, Chloe." He looked at me through the rearview mirror, smiling back at me. "Yeah, I really do. It's like they all relate to me in some way or form. Let's just say they help me a lot." Both my parents smiled at each other, then returned to look out their windows. Soon, my dad parked the car, then looked back at me again. "Well, Chloe, we'll meet you inside. We have to do something real quick, alright?" I nodded, knowing that if I disobeyed my parents, they wouldn't be happy anymore. I unbuckled my seatbelt, then opened the car door, being cautious while stepping down from the large vehicle. As I walked into church, I thought about what Brendon was going to try to do today. He might not be here, though. I smiled to myself, hoping that he wasn't here, but he would probably say something along the lines of 'I wouldn't miss any chance to see you, Chloe'. Opening the doors to the church was a bit nerve racking, but soon I found myself relaxing in the atmosphere around me. Well, that was until I saw him. Brendon was standing near the altar, glaring daggers at me. I watched as he pulled his hand out from behind him, only to beckon me closer to him with his pointer finger. I shook my head and made my way over to my family's assigned pew. Hopefully, today won't be so bad.