Chapter 33

I glared at Brendon, who was still smirking at me. "Why do you want me? You could have some other woman instead of me. You know that, right?" Brendon nodded, sitting down on the end of my bed. "Trust me, you're better than most of the women out there, Chloe. I just don't want to see you getting hurt, I guess." I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest. "Nice try, Brendon. We both know that you're just trying to get into my pants. Once you do that, you'll probably leave and never come back." That made Brendon stand up. I looked up at his towering figure, not sure fi I should be afraid or not. "What if I told you that I love you, Chloe?" I bit my lip, looking into his eyes as if I were looking to see if he was actually telling the truth. "I mean, you'll never feel the same way back, but I guess I just had to tell you some time, right?" Brendon lightly chuckled, running a hand through his hair. "Wait, you're telling me that you've loved me ever since we met?" He nodded. "I only shoot up with your perfume. It's the only thing that makes me feel as good as you do." It felt like my whole world was crashing down as Brendon said that. There's no way he could actually love me, right? I felt myself start to lose balance, only to have Brendon catch me before I hit the floor. I looked into his eyes, seeing that he wasn't lying to me whatsoever. That was the last thing I remember from last night, though. 

The next morning, I woke up, totally forgetting the fact that I still had to talk about my parents about my punishment. I sighed, pushing the covers off of my body. As much as I didn't want to go downstairs to face my parents, I had to. When I opened my bedroom door, the cold air hit my face, making me wonder why the air conditioning was on. It was the middle of fall. I shivered as I made my way down the stairs, seeing that my parents were already in the living room waiting for me. "Hello, Chloe. I think it's time we discuss your punishment. Please, sit down." I made my way over to the chair my dad pointed to, then sat down. I couldn't help but squirm in my chair the whole time they talked to me. "Now, what is the ninth commandment, Chloe?" I sighed, mentally rolling my eyes. "Thou shall not bare false witness against their neighbor." My dad smiled one of those proud smiles, but only for a second. "So, what makes you think that Father Urie tried to rape you?" I bit my lip and looked down at my feet. What do I say? Should I lie? "I think you're misunderstanding something, dad. I had a dream about him trying to rape me." My dad furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you telling us the truth?" I nodded, hoping that he would actually believe me on this. "Alright, Chloe. You're not getting off the hook so easily. You have to clean the house for a whole two weeks and if you fail to do this, you'll be grounded for a year." And with that, my mom and dad left for work, leaving me to think about how I just lied to them. Now, my punishment was really light. I'm just glad they didn't make me preach to the whole church every Sunday for the next few weeks. I hate when they do that.