Chapter One

The last show of the tour was always an event. Backstage was buzzing with excitement and a bit of danger due to several different covert operations currently being concocted to prank a member of the crew. Someone was going to get their face smashed in a cake before the night was through and I was determined it wouldn't be me.

I'd had the time of my life touring Flicker. It had been a year and a half of my life that I'd never expected to happen. It had flown by. I could swear I'd just released the CD yesterday. My first solo release had me enjoying success that I could have only dreamed. My band had been some of the greatest guys I'd ever met. My crew had given up time with their families to follow me around the world. My family had sacrificed my presence at family functions all to allow me to chase my dream of making an album like Flicker. I couldn't thank my fans enough for what they'd done for me.

But it was time to put this tour to bed. Flicker needed to be laid to rest in my past where I could reflect on it when I needed.

I was already writing for my next CD. I'd stumbled upon a bit of inspiration a couple months ago by the name of Molly Amelia Campbell. Since meeting her in a club and almost breaking her knee as we tried to ditch some paparazzi, she and I had become something I had grown to cherish. A one night stand had turned into the most significant relationship of my life.

While I was sad to see the tour end, I couldn't wait until I got to see her again. I felt like we'd been stuck in a holding pattern since we'd met. I sure as hell considered her my girlfriend even though we'd never had that conversation. Although one conversation we did have was the one where she point blank told me in no uncertain terms that our relationship, at least the romantic part of it, was to stay a secret. She'd laid the request on me after a particularly interesting night of sex and I was so blissed out I would have agreed to anything. But as my feelings for her deepened, it got harder and harder to keep that promise.

Aiden, Laura, Amanda, Mark and Lee would all be here tonight so I was roped into spending some time with them after the show was over whether I wanted to or not. But I already knew the moment I got a chance to make a clean break I was headed to Molly's apartment.

My thoughts were momentarily interrupted by the sound of fans screaming outside. I checked my watch, were they already here? Wow, I had really lost track of time.

"Hey," I heard the British accent of my soundcheck coordinator, Brittany, "Five minutes and then have your buns onstage alright?"

I smiled,

"Yes, my buns will be on stage."

She hugged me suddenly, squeezing me to her,

"Have a great night, Niall." She whispered. She quickly walked away before I could say anything about her crying. I shook my head in amusement as she walked down the corridor away from me.

I was handed my guitar, a slight bit of nerves passing through my stomach. These soundchecks were old hat to me now, but it was still nerve wracking to be so intimately playing for a small group of fans. Still, they had become my favorite thing to do on this tour. Turns out I really loved playing my music to people who weren't screaming in my face as much as I loved playing my music to people who were screaming in my face.

Go figure.

I stepped out on stage, winding my guitar strap over my head while I heard a few squeals when they caught sight of me. It made me smile. Some of them just couldn't contain themselves.

I walked to the microphone,

"Hello Everyone. Thanks for comin'." I scanned the crowd quickly, just wondering if any familiar faces were there. I didn't see anyone I recognized so I got on with it, "Gonna do a few songs for ya...then answer some questions. And then take some pictures. It's me last show of the tour...so forgive the crew for any of the ridiculousness that happens on this stage tonight." I said with a laugh.