Chapter 4

Molly seemed upset after that. Where she'd spent most of this vacation sneaking chaste touches with me when no one was looking, she was stiff now as she sat next to me on the way back to the hotel. I felt like a jerk for having pushed her boundaries. The problem was, I didn't really realize where those boundaries were.

I'd been hoping for most of the day that she'd show up at my room or that I'd be invited to show up at hers. But it became clear when she got off the elevator on her floor that wasn't going to happen tonight.

So I walked back to my room solo, staring down at the copper room key like it was going to come alive and tell me everything I was doing wrong.

But this was no Disney movie. This was just...my life.

I tossed and turned all night, finally lying on my back and staring up at the popcorn ceiling while I mulled over what had happened with Molly. I was confused by her reaction to me admitting I was in love with her.

I was.

I knew she had issues with my celebrity, but we hadn't been touched by that yet. Was she hedging her bets until we were? Eventually I would go back into the studio and back out on tour and people would find out about her.

I knew Molly didn't need me to protect her, she was quite capable of making it through her days without me. But the intense need to take care of her hit me like a ton of bricks every time we were together. I wanted her to know she could talk to me about anything. I would listen. I'd be glad to listen. I would drop everything for her.

And maybe that was-

The knocking at my door was a bit insistent, interrupting my thoughts as it seemed to grow more and more frantic with each pound. I lifted my arm to read my watch. It was almost three in the morning.

I hopped up out of the bed, getting to the door just as whoever was on the other side was mid-knock. I pulled it open to see Molly on the other side. She reached her hand out to me. The smile on her face was hardly one of irritation. She looked excited,

"C'mon...got a surprise for ya."

My whole body felt such a rush of relief when I saw she wasn't upset that I couldn't really get my thoughts under control. Should I have asked her what was going on? If she was alright? Should we have sat down and discussed what happened earlier?

Yes. To all of it.

But my body was in charge at the moment and I was so giddy stupid happy that she was standing in front of me, the thought of wrecking the moment was foreign to me. I grabbed my hoodie, slipped on a pair of sweat pants and took off after her down the hallway.

I realized when we were halfway down a deserted street that I had no idea where we were or where we were going. The scene in The Hangover 2 when they get told "Bangkok has him" flashed through my brain. I jogged a bit closer in on Molly's back,

"Uh, Mac? Where we goin'?"

"This way...few more feet."

Vague. To say the least.

She came up on a man standing near what looked to be a gate. It took me a moment to remember this was our tour guide from earlier today. He smiled when he saw Molly, gave us a friendly wave and then reached over to push the gate open.

Molly slipped in. I nervously glanced at the guy and then at the gate. She reached back and closed her fingers around my hand to pull me inside. I was just about to freak out about the fact that we were sort of breaking and entering when I realized where we were.

This was a golf course. Molly stood a few hundred feet away from me on the green in front of us with her arms out and a huge smile on her face,

"Golf anyone?"