Chapter 9

When I woke up the next morning, there was definitely something...off.  The tension hung in the air like a thick blanket which was unwelcome considering the temperature outside.  I rolled onto my side, not really shocked when I realized Molly wasn't in bed next to me, but still saddened.  I lifted my head to glance around the room.  The normal sounds of the shower were non-existent which caused a slight amount of panic.  I settled down quickly when I realized her suitcase was still sitting next to mine.  At least traversing balconies had ended for now.

I pushed myself up to sit.  Well if she wasn't in the shower and she wasn't in the bed, where was she?  I glanced up when I saw the curtains blow open from the balcony, her small frame coming into focus.  She was seated on one of the lounge chairs, staring out into space as if it held the meaning of life. 

The sun was just coming up, kissing her slightly tanned skin just enough to make her look like she was glowing.  Her lips a perfect shade of coral rested gently.  Her eyes shrouded by the longest set of eyelashes I'd ever seen. 

My God.  She was so beautiful it took my breath away.

I silently enjoyed her for a moment.  Knowing that the moment she knew I was looking her body would probably tense up.  I hated knowing that she felt like she had to hide things from me.  I had never had a problem with being trusted before.  By anyone.  But Molly was a whole different ball game.  She didn't just hand out trust easily.  It definitely had to be earned.

I finally decided to untangle myself out of the sheets and join her.  When I stepped out onto the concrete, I saw a single tear drop from her cheek.

I instantly knelt down next to her,

"Mac,"  I started, lifting my hand to her cheek, "Baby, what's wrong?"
She shook her head, instantly reaching up to dry the tears,

"Nothing."  She sniffed, "I didn't know you were awake."

My eyebrows pulled together in confusion,

"What's it matter if I am?  You're upset.  Ya alright?"
She nodded without hesitation,

"Yeah.  I'm fine."
I didn't want to push her, but people who are fine don't cry.  I lifted the pad of my thumb to drag underneath her eye,

"Mac, whatever it is...you can tell me."  I whispered in the calmest, gentlest voice I could.

She stared back at me.  I could tell she was thinking, probably mulling over whether or not she actually could tell me.  I stayed silent, but my whole body was willing her to find that comfort in me.  I so wanted her to know I was a safe place. 

My heart sank when she looked down, her eyes averting to the floor,

"I'm ok, Niall."  She answered softly, "I promise." 

I watched as she gathered herself, her eyes finally lifting to mine,

"What are we doing today?"

We were supposed to head out with the gang and spend our last day in Cambodia partying until the sun came up.  But sitting there with Molly made me realize that all I wanted to do is spend time with her.  I just wanted us to have a good time.  If this is all we had then I would try to accept it.

I squeezed her hand,

"Just you and me, Darlin'.  Gonna spend the day together doin' whatever we want and then I'm gonna take ya to the most expensive place in town."

Much to my relief, she smiled.  I pressed my lips to hers,

"C'mon.  Let's get goin'."

------------------------