-chapter seven-

A/N: so sorry for the delay of updating 😬 I got grounded from my phone for a week lolol

johnny's pov

I'm really wracking my brain to try to figure out how to get the girls back. I'm really salty about how my computer got all soaked and how I had to go running though the house with just a towel, for goodness sake, just to find an underwear....

On my way back from the bathroom to get a towel so I could soak up the water that's still on my bed, I heard Mackenzie talking to Lauren.

"I'm really hot." She is. Jk, of course.

"Same." I hear Lauren groan. "The A/C's even on, too. It's probably from running around with water guns." They both laugh.

"But geez, Kenz, what was the whole lying on top of each other thing for?"

I hear Mackenzie awkwardly laugh. "Uhh, I don't know...he started it..."

A smile plays at my lips and I lean in closer to the door.

"Hey, how about we go swimming?" Lauren suggests, and on that, an idea pops into my mind and I push open the door.

"What about swimming?" They stare at me for a long second and Lauren shoots me an accusing glare.

"Have you been eavesdropping?"

I shake my head profusely. "Of course not. I'm just really hot, too, cleaning up the mess YOU GUYS MADE."

Looking at each other, they laugh.

"I think mom told me to replace the filter in the pool and I didn't do it. So I'll fix that, and then you guys can go cool off." I have the perfect prank planned.

Shaking her head at me, Lauren replies, "Mom told you to do the day you got back. You still haven't done it?"

Actually, I did, but I'm gonna plan a prank. "Yeah, sorry. I'm doing it now, though. Don't tell Mom." Winking at them, I shut the door behind me and head downstairs.

"Hey, mom," I say as I pass by her 'office', "Do you still have those giant bags of ice?"

"Yeah, I think so." Mom looks up from her computer. "You can use them if you want. Another prank?"

I nod and grin. "It'll be great."

I lug the giant bags of ice out of the deep freezer in the basement and dump them into several large buckets. Pouring some water into them so the ice melts, I go back outside and drain the pool. Behind the pool filter, I shove more ice, so that when the water comes in it'll be freezing. Then I refill the pool halfway. Finally, I bring up the buckets of ice water, now mostly melted but still freezing and dump them into the pool. I grab the giant pool net we have and fish out remaining ice chunks. I can barely put my hand in the water for a couple seconds. It's freezing.

The last step is to fill up the buckets with very warm water, not too hot, from the spicket. I drag them upstairs and color them with red and blue food coloring, and onto the balcony of my room, which is right above the back door.

"Did you finish?"

I whirl around guiltily and nod at Lauren. She gives me a funny look for me shutting the balcony door so quickly, and then smiles.

"Cool. Thanks." Lauren's already wearing her bathing suit, and I see Mackenzie behind her wearing hers.

They hurry down the stairs excitedly. I quickly throw open my door grab the buckets of hot water.

I timed it perfectly. Then ran out of the house right as I dumped the buckets right on top of their heads.

"AHHH!" They both scream and I laugh evilly from upstairs.

"What the heck??" Lauren looks up at me, trying to rub the red water off. "What was that??"

"Your blood in return for your evil pranks on me." I stick out my tongue at her and she glares at me.

Mackenzie blinks a couple times and shades her eyes to look up at me. "And geez, that water was so hot."

"So are you." I wink and then stick out my tongue at her.

"Ew." Kenzie makes a face, and Lauren pulls her arm.

"Let's just get in the pool already. I'm steaming. Steaming mad and steaming from boiling red water."

I laugh outright again and watch eagerly as they grab hands and jump into the pool.

Immediately, they both resurface, coughing and spluttering.

Lauren utters a scream and tries to swim in the freezing water over to the edge of the pool to climb out.

"WHAT DID YOU DO, JOHN??" Lauren screeches.

With a triumphant look, I reply calmly, "Oh, just giving you a taste of your own medicine. And gosh, lower your volume. I was so much of a better sport when you almost water damaged my computer."

Placing her hands on her hips, Lauren scrunches her nose at me. "Uh, no. You let out the loudest yell I've ever heard."

"Apparently you haven't heard yourself," I shoot back, grinning, and suddenly turn my eyes to Mackenzie.

She's coughing, and barely climbing out of the pool. Lauren notices my gaze move, and her eyes widen at the sight of Kenzie struggling to climb out of the pool, her coughs shaking her whole body.

"Oh my gosh, Kenzie!" Lauren rushes over and helps her out of the pool. Then she turns to me, legitimately angry now. "Johnny, Kenzie has really sensitive lungs! Get down here right now!"

My heart drops to my feet as I see Mackenzie shaking violently with the cold.

Quickly, I dart back into my room, snatch my blanket off of my bed and sprint down the stairs and outside.

"Geez, Kenz, I'm so sorry," I say hurriedly, wrapping the blanket around her shoulders and kneeling down next to her.

She lets out another wave of harsh, dry, coughs.

"It's ok," she whispers, her body violently shaking. "You didn't know."

"No, still," I insist, "I'm really sorry. Like I feel horrible."

Mackenzie smiles weakly. "It's ok. I'm alive. I just need to get warm and I'll be fine."

Finally, the concern leaves Lauren's face as Mackenzie's face resumes it's normal color. "John makes a killer hot chocolate. He can make one for you."

I nod, grinning. "Right away. But first, let's get you inside." I slip one of my arms around her shoulders, and the other under her knees and lift her up easily. Then I tuck the blanket tighter around her. Lauren opens the door for me, and I carry Kenzie and place her gently down on the couch.

Kenzie smiles gratefully, and coughs one more time.

"Thanks. And really, it's not your fault. Don't beat yourself up."

I nod slowly.

"Really." Kenzie insists, seeing my still guilty look.

"Ok." Upon impulse, I give her a quick hug and then disappear into the kitchen to make her the hot chocolate.

-
-
-
-
-