-chapter twenty two-

kenzie's pov

"Here's my number, so call me maybe."

I laugh, hugging Ruby goodbye. "Why did you pick this song? It's so old." I roll my eyes as the song goes on, and she giggles.

"Nuh-uh. It's iconic. A classic. Count it my goodbye gift for tonight." Ruby raises her eyebrows and grins. "Thanks for the party. I'll see you on set for the commercial shoot Monday, right?"

I nod. "Yup! Thanks for coming!"

Most of the guests have leave, except for my mom's friends.

Lauren grabs my hand and sits me down at a table.

"So, did you have fun?"

"Yeah, it was great! I'm really tired now, though." Lauren raises her eyebrows, waiting for me to expound. "Thanks for helping keep my mind off of..."

She smiles. "Of course."

My mom comes over and asks Lauren to help her with something inside. I drift over to the pool and sit down, dipping my feet inside.

I didn't have that big of a problem keeping my mind off of the Mark situation. I don't know how many more times I'll be able to do that, though. How long will it be till I get over him?

johnny's pov

Kenz hasn't talked to me all night. I guess it's my own fault, but maybe I can talk to her and help her understand why I did what I did.

I take another sip of pop and then toss the can into the trash can. Most of the people have left already. Looking around, I see Kenzie sitting on the edge of the pool.

Taking a deep breath, I get up. Time for confessions...

"Hey," I say, and a massive voice crack comes out, probably because of my suddenly dry throat. I laugh awkwardly, and Kenzie barely looks up. Was it just my imagination or did the corners of Kenzie's mouth twitch?

"Can I talk to you?" I sit down next to her, and she shrugs and looks the other way.

"Kenzie," I whisper, pleading with her silently to just listen to what I have to say. "I only found out about Mark the day you found out."

That catches her attention, and she turns her head slightly to look at me.

"It was earlier that day, when I went to the grocery store, remember? I saw Bryce and he told me he was looking for Mark." I take a deep breath, then continue. "I knew how in love you were with Mark, and I didn't want to ruin your birthday weekend. I told Bryce I'd help him out later, after this weekend. When I saw him at the restaurant, I was terrified, Kenz, I really was."

"I didn't want him to find out yet, but it was unavoidable. Then it happened, and I felt horrible." I pause, and Kenzie doesn't say anything still, so I go on. "Just know...the reason I didn't tell you was for you. So your birthday wouldn't get ruined. If I did it again, I would tell you."

"But I'd just say you were jealous." Kenzie speaks up suddenly, and I look back at her.

"Well...yeah, but..."

"It's fine." Sighing, Kenzie finally looks back at me. "I get it, I guess. I just need some time to...heal."

I nod. "I know. I just wanted you to know."

Standing to my feet, I hesitate, and then pull something out of my pocket. Kenzie looks up, and our eyes meet. Slowly, she stands up.

It's a small jewelry box, and I put it in her hand.

"Happy birthday, Kenzie," I whisper.

I turn away to leave, but Kenzie grabs my arm, and I turn back around.

"Wait."

She plays with the hem of her skirt. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" I ask softly, my heart beating out of my chest.

"For blaming it on you." A smile crosses her face slowly, and then she says, "And for this."

"Wha-" My mouth opens wide as suddenly I'm flying backwards into the pool.

Kenzie laughs as I surface. I glare at her fiercely, but I can't help but laugh along with her.

"I'm SO going to get you back." I say, shaking the water out of my hair as I climb out. Kenzie runs away, squealing.

Once she's safely on the porch, she looks back at me and sticks out her tongue. "You're going to have to do more than that to make me stop, Mr. Orlando."

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
A/N: shout-out to slayingxjenzie and jenzieshipper_ for spamming my book! ❤️