-chapter twenty-

kenzie's pov

I'm good at pretending I'm okay. I'm good at sealing it up and making it seem like it's okay. But inside, I'm an mentos in a Coke bottle.

Lauren and I talked for a long time when we got home. I told her I was fine, cried a couple tears, and once I finally convinced her I was okay, we watched an episode of Where's Home.

My mind wasn't on the episode. If you asked me what had happened, I wouldn't be able to tell you. My mind was on Mark. The love of my life. I swear he was the perfect guy. I never thought I'd find a guy like him. He made me feel special. He made me feel loved, not just because of my social status, but just because I was his.

Maybe that was all a façade. Maybe he really didn't think that. He did drink, and he smoked, didn't he? That's what Johnny and Lauren told me, but I didn't believe them. I thought he was perfect. I guess everyone has a dark side to them, right? When Mark gets out of jail, I can just forgive him and move on. Right?

Lying in the bed, with Lauren breathing softly next to me, I can't fall asleep. I've been awake for a long time, thinking.

I can't believe that was actually Mark. I can't imagine him doing anything they accused him of. It's unthinkable. But everyone has their bad side, and some have a more horrible side than others.

Johnny knew. But he didn't tell me. Why wouldn't he? He knew at some point it would come out, so why wouldn't he just tell me? I don't get him. I don't understand how anyone can be that heartless. I thought he cared about me. I guess not.

My birthday party is tomorrow. Lauren and I have been planning this for forever, and I'm not sure if I'm even feeling like I'm going to be emotionally ready for it. I'm an actress, so I can fake it, right?

I don't think it'll be that easy though. I wish it could be.

Slipping out from under the covers, I run to my bathroom. I collapse onto the floor, and all my pent up emotions come out.

°°°

The sun shines on my face, streaming in through the window. I groan and roll over onto my side, shielding my eyes.

"Morning." Lauren yawns and rolls over to face me.

I grumble a response.

"Kenz..."

Popping one eye open, I furrow my eyebrows. "Mmm."

"I...I heard you last night."

My other eye opens, and I look at her, but I don't say anything.

"I know you're upset. You don't have to try to hide it." Lauren sits up and begins tying her back into a messy bun.

I sigh. "But I have to pretend I'm okay. Especially later at the party. I mean, I'm an actress. I'm used to it."

"No, you don't. I mean, not around me."

"My birthday weekend is ruined. All because of Johnny." Lying onto my back, I glare at the ceiling.

Lauren gives me a look. "Kenzie..."

"Why didn't he tell me? He knew, yet he let me get more and more attached to Mark, so it would hurt even more when I got torn away from him."

"You're going to have to talk to him yourself. Like later tonight. He cares about you, Kenzie. A lot."

"I can sure tell," I scoff.

My phone rings, and I sigh and heave myself up to grab it from the nightstand.

Newkirk Casting

"Pick it up, it's probably a callback!" Lauren says, a bright smile coming over her face.

I swipe to answer and hold it up to my ear. A smile makes it's way onto my face in spite of my prior mood, and my eyes dance with excitement.

"Hello? This is Mackenzie."

Lauren gives me a thumbs up and hugs a pillow to her chest.

"Hi, this is Mike from Newkirk Casting. We're calling about your call back that happened this week."

My heart skips a beat. "Yes?"

"I have a question for you." He pauses for effect. "How would you like to play Shadow Cat on the new X-Men movie?"

My eyeballs almost drop out of my sockets. "Y-you mean..."

"You got the role, Mackenzie. Congratulations!"

I'm speechless. I just stand there, my mouth hanging open.

"Ms. Ziegler?"

"Hi, hi. Sorry, I'm in a bit of shock right now." I laugh, and I let out a little squeal. "Thank you guys so much. I really appreciate it. Wow."

He laughs. "Of course. We'll be contacting your manager right now about meetings and contracts and all the boring stuff. Hopefully we will be seeing you soon! Have a great rest of your day."

"Thank you!" I manage to say. Hanging up, I let out a loud squeal, which escalates into a scream. "AHHHHHHABSJAKAXHSH!"

"I'm guessing you got the role?" Lauren jokes, hugging me tightly.

"YES!!!"

Screw boys. We don't need them to make us happy. All I need is a good friend and a successfully landed job.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
idek what this chapter was bye