°Battling Love°

::Serenity::

I felt a rough touch to my back, shaking me as I began to open my eyes. I had been in a deep peaceful sleep, but now that that's over I'm awake.

"Serenity!" I heard Lance yell in my ear. Startled by the loudness, I flinched.

"What?" I asked.

"Your ass was supposed to be awake by now, they cut our power out." Lance exclaimed.

"And is that my fault?" I asked.

"You were supposed to pay the bill a few days ago. Why didn't you?" Lance asked.

"I've been working a lot, I'm sorry." I said.

"Say sorry to this, maybe it'll teach you to do shit on time." Lance exclaimed and without warning, a harsh slap was spread amongst my cheek. It burned and I held it, trying to restrict my tears from falling.

He walked away, as I sat there on the floor steady holding my face which he just slapped harshly. Because of the stinging sensation, I couldn't hold back my tears. The salty, warm substance traveled down my cheek whilst burning the hand mark left by Lance. I stood up, wiping my tears away the best I could and I walked into the bathroom to put on my clothes. The window was open, letting in some light and Lance stood in there watching me as well. I avoided eye contact with him as I finished getting dressed and I left the bathroom. A look of fury was brought in his eyes so of course I was scared. He's dangerous, but I still go through everything with him because of the love.

I made my way to the building to pay our bills and I arrived in. I stood in line with my cheek still burning but my curls did a good job of covering it up. After paying my bill and calling in so that the power will be turned back on, I was making my way out of the door up until I ran into someone. Jacob. He stopped me with a smile and I tried my best to smile back as well.

"Hey Serenity." Jacob said.

"Hi Jacob, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Paying a few bills." Jacob said.

"Same. Well I have to get going." I said, trying to walk my way around him. He stopped me, holding a firm grasp around my waist.

"Let me take you out to eat or something. It looks like you need a little free time." Jacob said.

"No, I don't think that'd be the best idea." I said.

"I insist. Come on." Jacob said.

"Okay.." I said.

He smiled and took my hand in his, he lead me to his truck and I got into the passengers seat. I strapped my seat belt on, relaxing back in my seat. Maybe I did need a little free time considering I had been arguing with Lance again, for the past couple of weeks. Over the stupidest things too. Rather it's over me, guys looking at me or bills. There's more though. Soon we reached a diner, not the one I worked at but a better one. We got out of his truck and went inside. We chose to sit in a booth in a corner. I sat across from him, keeping quiet as he steady smiled at me. I smiled back momentarily.

"So are you doing okay?" Jacob asked.

"Yeah, I guess." I shrugged.

"Are you alright?" Jacob asked with concern in his eyes. I slowly nodded my head, picking at my nails. "Okay, well what do you want to eat? I'll pay." Jacob said.

"No food, just a coffee." I responded.

"Alright, I'll be right back." Jacob softly smiled and stood up. He walked away and I let out a sigh of relief.