Chapter 8

Julia stood outside the room where Halt was being treated, holding the little girl and trying to calm her down. The girl just kept crying. It was like she knew something was wrong. James came out of the room with a tired look on his face as he walked over to where Julia was standing.
"How is he?" Julia said, hoping for the best. James looked at her and sighed a tear flowing down his cheek.
"I don't think he's going to make it." After James said that they both looked away from each other for a moment, knowing what they would have to do.
"We need to inform the king of what has happened. The earthquake destroyed many homes, and trees have fallen all over crops, and the paths leading to and from here. The dam was also destroyed and the river is starting to flood the lower part of town." As James was telling Julia all this one of the guards, that had helped with Halt, came forward.
"I can do it." He said and James and Julia turned to him.
"What?" James asked and the man stepped forward once more.
"I can take the message to the king." The young knight looked at James with firm eyes.
"Are you sure?" James asked, and the young knight was quick to respond.
"I am, you've seen me fight, and I know some people at castle Araluan that can help, and I need to do something to help you, what with Halt and all." As he said Halt's name everyone suddenly looked away from each other as they tried not to let the tears flow.
"All right Damian, you may go." Damian saluted before he turned around to get ready to leave. Before he could James called to him.
"Damian!" James said and Damian turned around to face him.
"They need to know what happened to Halt, this is not something we have any right to keep from them, especially his wife." Damian nodded before turning around ad walking off.
"Julia, you should take her to bed, she looks very tired." Julia had been listening so intently to the conversation that she didn't notice the little girl in her arms had stopped crying. She was now laying in Julia's arms her eyes half-closed. Julia nodded and started to walk off, but before she turned the hall to where the little girl would sleep she trued back to James.
"James, if anything happens, I mean if Halt-" She trailed off unable to make herself say more.
"I will." That was all James said, but that was all Julia needed. She nodded her thanks to James and left to put the little girl to sleep. James opened the door to the room Halt was in lying on a bed. James sat down on a chair against the wall and thought about all the ways he could have done something more for Halt.