Chapter 27

Halt was sitting on his porch waiting his wife and daughter, when Emma walked up.

"Hi Halt!" Emma said cheerfully. Halt just nodded at her and then continued to look out into the rode and wait for his family.

"Waiting for Pauline and Nyx I take it?" Emma asked and Halt just nodded.

"Well I have something I would like you to take a look into for me." Emma said as she walked over and sat down next to Halt.

"What is it?" Halt asked.

"Well, there have been talk of a colt working in the woods a couple of miles south from hear. They have been said to be robbing and then killing people who travel threw. I would like you to go check it out and see whos behind this." Emma said and Halt nodded. Emma then gave him a letter. Halt took it and gave Emma a questioning look.

"I have no idea who it's from. I just found in on my desk addressed to you." Halt took the letter and put in him his pocket as he saw Pauline and Nyx riding up. Pauline was smiling and Nyx was waving. Halt and Emma walked over to them and as Halt stood next to the horse they were both riding Nyx jumped off into his arms.

"Daddy!" Nyx said happily. Pauline, Halt, and Nyx then said their goodbyes as Pauline rode back to Redmont.

"Hay Nyx!" Emma said as she got a big hug from Nyx. Nyx then excitedly ran inside with her small bag.

"Oh, Halt she's gotten so big." Emma said

"I can't believe she's five already." Emma said as she and Halt walked into his cabin.

Halt and Pauline had decided that Nyx would spend one month with the other at a time, Pauline' month just ended, and now it was Halt' month to spend with Nyx. The best times were the times they could spent together. Like on Nyx's birthday. Her fifth birthday was a big thing. most of Halt and Pauline's closest friends came. And Nyx loved every second of it. Nyx got a lot of presents from everyone as well. She had gotten a number of toys and what not, but the one she seems to love the most is the one that Crawly got her. Crawly got her a smaller version of their Ranger cloke, and she loved it. She would run around all day with it on pretending to be her dad on a mission.

"Well it's been good seeing you guys, but I have to go." Emma said and hugged Nyx goodbye. As she rode off she saw Nyx standing next to Halt waving, and Emma waved back.