Chapter 29

For the last couple of days Nyx had stayed with Emma, until her father would get back. It started out ok. Nyx had spent the night at Emma's before, but this time she was staying for longer then one day. When the second night rolled around Nyx started to really miss her dad. She would cry for her dad for hours, and then she would start crying for her mom. Emma was not supper good with kids, so after that long night with no sleep Emma decided to take Nyx to her mom. They weren't that far apart, and when Halt got back he could go get her and spend some time with his wife. After getting all packed up Emma and Nyx headed to Redmont.

It took then a couple hours, but they finally made it. Emma tied up her horse and took Nyx inside. Nyx walked alongside Emma holding her hand. Nyx was so excited, she new exactly were she was, and who she was about to see. Soon they turned a corner and opened the big doors that led into the main hall. When they walked in Nyx ran over to her mom and they shared a hug. There were a couple other people in the room as well. Crawly, Arold. Rodney, Arolds wife, and Will.

"Emma, what brings you and Nyx hear?" Arold asked.

"Halt is checking something out for me and will be gone for a couple days. I was watching Nyx, but after one day she really started to miss her parents and I could not get any work done." Emma said as she smiled at Nyx.

"How long had Halt been gone?" Crawly asked.

"Two days." Emma answered.

"He should be gone for at leased two more days."

Halt rode for about three more miles before he reached the village that had reported a colt. People gave him looks of fear and amazement, which was normal for a Ranger to get. Halt got off his horse and took care of him before he went into the tavern to ask some questions. When Halt stepped in he noticed a man in a drown cloke sitting in the corner table. As Halt walked over to the bar tender he felt the mans gaze on him.

"What can I do for you Ranger?" The bar tender said in a low voice.

"I would like to know about this colt business I have heard about?" Halt said. The bar tender got very pail and told Halt to get out. halt calmly walked out and decided to try some were else. halt walked over to the village inn and asked there. again he was turned down. Halt could see that the people were obviously afraid. The fact that no one would talk was making things a lot harder. Knowing the inn keeper would not allow him to stay in his inn, Halt set up camp right outside the village, Were he could see everything, but no one could see him unless they were actively looking. Halt thought over everything he knew so far and what he didn't know. He made a plan and then as he was about to lay down for the night, he got the feeling that someone was watching him. halt slowly grabbed his bow and an arrow and sat ready. Halt sat there for a long time and didn't hear a thing, but the feeling would not leave him. Finally Halt saw a fire star up a little ways away from him. Halt crouched down relying on his cloke to cover him. A couple moments latter about a dozen people in black clokes walked to the light of the fire and started talking. Halt didn't understand a think they were saying. A couple minuets latter a women was brought into the light of the fire tied up and gaged. To Halts shock and horror the people threw her into the fire. Halt couldn't help but flinch at the sound of the women's screams. After a wile the screams died down and the cloked people slowly left one at a time. Halt didn't dare move, in case they were still watching. Soon the feeling of someone watching him left and Halt slowly crept over to the fire. Halt covered his nose because of the small of burnt flesh. Besides the women's burnt body there was nothing left. What ever this cold is he needed to stop then before they killed anyone else.